Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 85 ZN1100 ltd and it seems the cam chain is making a kind of off and on chain tinkling noise. I think. Mostly at and idle. I checked the tensioner and it seems that it is not fully extended, but I was wondering if it is normal for the chain guides to be worn out after only 25k miles?

·
OldKaw
25 Posts
Hi sg56k. Have you found the source of your noise? I have an '84 with almost 23k and I just started hearing a similar sound - I think. When the engine is cold it is fine but after it reaches normal operating temperature I'm hearing a sort of rattle/tinkling in the valve cover. I thought it could be the reed valves but I sealed those off last year so they can't rattle. Whatever it is doesn't seem to affect running. How about yours? Anyone else have any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the same thing with the reed valves and no difference. Mine also gets noisy after warm up. Also does not effect performance. Just a little annoying. I think I will try a manual tensioner and see if that does anything. If I sit and rev up a little I can hear it a little louder on slow down but then tends to quite down again at idle. Go figure. Love my Bike though!!! sg56k

·
OldKaw
25 Posts
I checked the reed valve to make sure it was still sealed off and it is - couldn't make a noise if you hit it with hammer.
The noise is getting worse and I'm thinking a cam chain guide may have possibly broken or something. I'm going to drain/strain the oil tomorrow and see if there's anything there since it sounds like something rattling around. If nothing there, I'll pull the valve cover and check the chain and guides. I'll post my findings when I'm done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts