Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my latest perplexing "vintage" bike problem. My ZN700 cuts off consistently after 5 minutes of riding or idling. Almost exactly at 5 minutes every time...I can set my watch by it. I'm actually thinking of using the bike as a timer for my wife in the shower. :lol:
Anyway, it will not start back up until after it "cools" down for 20-30 minutes. Then it restarts just like nothing ever happened. I replaced the Ignitor, both double coils and harness, fuel tap assembly. . Replace a corroded connector in the Pickup coil harness, but did not replace the actual pickup coils. The carb bowls have plenty of gas in them so it is not a fuel starvation problem. Could it be the pickup coils breaking down ?
Bil
'84 5-minute egg timer

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I wrote this for the Kz900's,1000's and 1100's. I should work for your bike too:

Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the pick up coils are mounted,(under a right side CD sized cover) locate and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multi-meter set on OHMS and range of X 100 check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360- 540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS.

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5. If replacement pickup coils are not available, your next choice would be to order a Dyna “S” electronic ignition system from Z1 Enterprises, Inc. - Specializing in Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Parts It replaces the IC igniter with a smaller module located where the mechanical ignition advancer was mounted.

6.Check the small 4 pin connector that the pickup coils connect to for corrosion/loose pins too.

·
Gasket Killer
120 Posts
Mine would loose #1/#4 coil after about 5-7 minutes of running. Faster if I was 'gittin-it'. I actually had to have my DVOM on the pickup coil wires in order to see the one side fail. It would cut in and out, but only when hot. I could see it, at idle, fluctuating around 480'ish ohms. Then the meter would go to infinity when it the coil started to fail.

I used a logic probe (powered power/ground probe) and kept it on the #1/#4 coil black wire to see it being triggered. The pulsing ground would disappear, telling me wasn't being triggered to fire. So I looked at the pulse coils, with Mikes ohm specs in mind and found the one side failing when it got warm.

I'd check that for sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys nailed it! I took out the Fluke meter this morning and while the pickup coils were on the bike, one read 470 ohms and the other 1200 ohms. After I took them off and inside where the air conditioner was, the high one dropped down to 700 ohms. I replaced the whole pickup assembly with one I had on a ZN700 in storage, and reading 460 ohms on both coils.
The bike has been running normal today with no symptoms of shutdown.
Thanks guys....now let's ride !
Bil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts