Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys have an issue about air and fuel mix, it seems that Im running rich on idle. I have a zr 400, just cleaned and synched the carbs and its idling ok at 1,300rpm. Pulls good at higher rpms also, but my man concern is at fuel mix at idle, think Im running rich on idle coz the whenever I am near my exhaust as in checking the tyres air pressure, I could smell strong fumes coming from the exhaust and also hurts nd irritates my eyes. any insights as to what am i experiencing now and the possible solutions. thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Is the problem new to you or new to the bike? I'm incredibly sensitive to the smell of gasoline.

Try using another fuel supplier (make sure you're using the correct octane rating).

Is your air filtre aftermarket or less than perfect - use oem unless you've made accomodations for your aftermarket filtre.

Lastly, remove the plugs to determine whether or not you really are running rich, there are all kinds of guides on the net to 'reading' plugs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the bike is new to me, just cleaned and synched the carbs about two weeks ago and the mechanic adjusted the pilot screws. Back then Im having a hard time on my take from full stop. It just kind of missing at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle and the idle was high at about 2,000rpms. and it kind of burble or splutter from 2-3,0000 rpms but pulls very good at higher rpms.
After cleaning and synch and adjustments on the pilots just solved the problem at 1/4 twist of the throttle but now im experiencing that smell in the exhaust and I think that my mileage suffered.

I use my bike as a daily ride. Im traveling 46 km back and forth each day and the bike consumes about 2.5 liters of fuel, is my mileage really off? thanks again guys! Ride safe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forget one motre thing, the mechanic removed the air filter from the box and he said that with the kind of filter ( its just a home made foam, which came with the bike ahen i got it ) the bike wouls be starve f air and i will be fouling plugs because of richness, but eventhough the bike has no filters, sill running on the rich side?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You need a new mechanic. Any "mechanic" that lets a customers bike run without any intake filtration of any kind is.. an idiot. Sorry.

Your pilot screws are probably too rich because of said idiot's stupidity. I'd adjust them to 2 turns out each and see if that doesn't change it. A little rich at idle isn't bad though.

Also, please put in an air filter for your bike's sake. Unfiltered air = dust and crap in your cylinders = :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok tried screwing in the pilots at 1/2 turn yesterday, rode the bike and throttle response improved. Rode the bike this morning and noticed that it starts to splutter at 6,000rpm, never experienced it then. But maybe the bike is quite cold when i brought it to 6,000rpm, is it possible that the bike is not on her operating temp a while back. Hoping that thats the only case. Any inputs guys? BTW the exhaust gas stil smells strong and awfull, should I continue screwing in the pilots? Dont want to mess the settings coz i use the bike almost everyday. But just wanted to be sure that I will not foul the plugs because of running rich, Its quite hard to remove the tank and airbox just to install new plugs. TIA guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts