Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now removed carbs 3 times dismantled them and blown them through with brake cleaner, each time bike runs fine for 30 or so miles then starts to run on 3 cylinders at low revs, last time I fitted a quality inline fuel filter, and repair kit to the fuel tap ( filters still in place on petcock pipes in the petrol tank) Bike is low mileage for the year 6k so it has been obviously stood for long periods, fuel tank has been flushed out several times and fuel is fresh.
when I clean jets whatever is in them is clear ish ( not black rubber). I remove all jets, float needles and pilot screws and blast out all orifices.
I have not removed cv diaphrams as I am worried they may not go back if they swell,
Also I cant see how anything in there could get into pilot jet.
Can petrol pipe start to break down?
Thanks in advance for ideas
Andrew
Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes your fuel lines can break down and plug up your carb jets. What type of lines are you using?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes your fuel lines can break down and plug up your carb jets. What type of lines are you
Yes your fuel lines can break down and plug up your carb jets. What type of lines are you using?
I must have had a senior moment when I wrote that, I replaced the fuel line when I fitted an inline filter, I was thinking the links on the bank of carbs but they are plastic. Probably be wise to get them ultra sonic cleaned?
Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
773 Posts
How you know is running on three cylinders?

As far as I am concerned, the diaphragms should come out for cleaning because, first, they clear main jet hole for blasting, secondly, rubber does not take well to cleaners and solvents, and finally, alllows you to check if any tears in them (very unlikely).

Have you checked the fuel level in bowls? How are your vacuum lines?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Are you adding fresh gasoline from a gas pump at a gas station or is it coming from a can you have at home?

Also, just curious why you are using brake cleaner instead of carb cleaner.

Plastic fuel lines? Although plastic fuel lines are available, most of the plastic lines that you can buy at a hardware store are NOT compatible with fuels. If you are using clear plastic lines, then perhaps this is the source of the clear-ish junk you are finding in your jets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used proper fuel line from a dealer, I specifically asked at the time, also I was told brake cleaner is kinder to rubber, now this is not the worst of my problems, bike just packed up after 1 mile, when I put it on the stand I noticed oil dripping continuously from underside of air box, I will put another post on as I would like some advice on this.
Thanks Andrew

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you adding fresh gasoline from a gas pump at a gas station or is it coming from a can you have at home?

Also, just curious why you are using brake cleaner instead of carb cleaner.

Plastic fuel lines? Although plastic fuel lines are available, most of the plastic lines that you can buy at a hardware store are NOT compatible with fuels. If you are using clear plastic lines, then perhaps this is the source of the clear-ish junk you are finding in your jets.
Hi there, I used correct spec piping, I was told brake cleaner is kinder to rubber than carb cleaner.
Andrew

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How you know is running on three cylinders?

As far as I am concerned, the diaphragms should come out for cleaning because, first, they clear main jet hole for blasting, secondly, rubber does not take well to cleaners and solvents, and finally, alllows you to check if any tears in them (very unlikely).

Have you checked the fuel level in bowls? How are your vacuum lines?
Hi there, header on cyl 1 was cold
This morning it has thrown oil out of air box, looks like its flooded and filled crankcase with fuel, I have dropped oil and it seems 50/ 50 with petrol,
I might have left petcock on prime overnight, I will check float heights and float replace float needles
Thanks Andrew

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yes, even with petcock open and not running, the float needles should stop it.

You may not be interested, but it is possible removing/replacing everything(except enrichener plungers) in carbs, without removing them from bike by making certain modifications.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Interesting development. What material/colour are your floats? If they are white nylon, maybe they are degrading and sluffing off material that is plugging your jets. +1 on replacing float needles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting development. What material/colour are your floats? If they are white nylon, maybe they are degrading and sluffing off material that is plugging your jets. +1 on replacing float needles.
They are plastic, I never thought of that, they have been cleaned though, will have a look when I swap float needles
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
there us a little tool a jet cleaner I think the name is. they are like a torch cleaner.They will clean the little jets. fyi. soaking in good carb cleaner is the way to clean carbs. you will get the little passage ways that way. rinse off with water and blow every passage out. make sure air cones out someplace and is the same on all carbs. it may run better than ever.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

You may not be interested, but it is possible removing/replacing everything(except enrichener plungers) in carbs, without removing them from bike by making certain modifications.
Hi there what mods do you mean? I assume you mean removing float bowls with carbs still on the bike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Hi, I have replaced all four float needles and bike seems to be running a lot better must have been flooding on cyl 1 causing erratic idle but when engine wasn't running flooding stopped and then when I left tap on prime overnight (I know wont do that again)
It flooded crankcase.
No overflow in float bowls though not impressed with that.
Thanks for your reply
Andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts