10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been on a bike in 20 years.
I have narrowed it down to the following bikes:
600 Katana
GS 500
Ninja 500
ZR-7S

The ZR-7S or 600 Katana seem to be the better chioces to me, I will be taking a MSF course for a refresher.
I have seen a ZR-7S 2001 for $3700 and a 600 Katata 2000 for $3200.

Would these, ZR-7S and Katana be good chioces?
What would be good prices for these bikes?
Any suggestions on other bikes?
Seat height is an issue, I am 5'6" and 185 (in very good shape).

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was in almost the same boat as you. Started riding when I was 13, rode MANY bikes, then was out for almost 15 years. I bought the Ninja 500. Could not be happier! It is a great bike. Had the same problem as you also again, short legs. I’m 5’ 7” by the way, but only a 30” inseam. Cannot flat foot, but very close. I was not sure if I wanted the laying down position of some of the sport bikes, this one has more of an upright position that I like, have done a couple of 500+ mile trips with no problems on it. Had never rode a sport bike before, always been dual sport or cruiser, this is my first sport bike, and let me tell you, it does have a learning curve if you have never rode one. Don’t let the 500 cc size make you think this is a small bike. It will outrun just about any car on the rode. I have a friend with a Shadow 750, he cannot keep up with me, he might catch me at top end, but last time we played I let off at about 90 and he was 6 lengths behind me.

It makes a great bike to get back into riding, especially if you have never had a sport bike before, if you have, then you may be happier on a bigger one.

Me, this one was made for me, small enough to get it through traffic in town with no problems, but can still run on 500-mile trips with two Shadow 750’s and a GoldWing.

Joe

·
Registered
512 Posts
i too agree with the 500, i was in front of a katana that was jetted with pods and exhaust up untill around 100 or so so dont think the 500 is a slow bike.when i was bike shopping i sat on a 750 ninja and then the 500 and i made my decision the second i was on the 500. im not too fond of my *** being the same height of my head. lol

·
Registered
213 Posts
The ZX-6E (ZZR600) has a low seat height and is pretty comfortable. Maybe you ought to give it a look as well. My only concern would be that it's a good bit quicker than a Katana or EX500 so it may not be a good choice for someone that has been out of riding so long.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a ZX-6E. It is comfortable and has a low seat height (for a sport/standard). But it is a lot of power and speed for a re-entry rider. The 6E has about 90HP at the rear wheel. That translates into some pretty serious acceleration and speed - low 11 second quarter miles and a top speed near 150MPH. It weighs about 500lbs fully fueled and ready to ride.

A ZR-7S is quite a bit more tame, despite the larger displacement engine. The ZR-7 uses an older, air cooled, eight valve engine. Digging around on the 'net, it puts down 65HP at the rear wheel - much less than a 6E. Wet weight is 520lbs. Not sure what seat height is on this bike.

The EX-500 puts down 50HP with a wet weight of 440lbs.

Power and speed are fairly close between the ZR-7 and EX-500, with the larger bike being a bit quicker. While the EX-500 is the most "beginnerish" I'd venture the ZR-7 is a reasonable choice, so long as you are comfortable with the weight and seat height.

- JimY

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally got into a MSF class. I will see how it feels to get back in the saddle again.
All of the feedback has been great, please if any else has some advice or words of wisdom I am all ears

Thanks
Frank A

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I noticed the bikes your looking at are used, but Kawasaki will be coming out with the new Z750S for this spring. It's already out in Europe and Canada and seems to be doing well. Naked street bike looks, more power than the old ZR-7S, and a more upright riding position with fuel injection on a detuned Z1000 engine. It will be nice to see a real 750 in the lineup again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gpzrider,
I am looking for something used to ride for a year or two, it will help me relearn the skills I need and I will not feel so bad if I drop it.
Then I plan on getting a ZRX1200R.

·
Registered
169 Posts
im gettin a zx600 ninja for my first bike.... should be a pretty fast bike.... websites rate it at 105hp, that must be pretty quick... i never got on the throttle yet tho, and prolly wont for a while LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts