Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The new guy here. Second Kawasaki, first was a gpz750. Nice bike, very comfortable ride. Had an Aprilia Falco afterward, torcher on my back. But very fun anyway!

Now I've got a zr7 (2001, 750 air cooled) with an un-title-able frame so thinking of buying an old kz650 (i like a flat seat) to swap the low miles zr7 engine into. Would like to ask the experts some-->>

Can the newer lump go straight into the old kz without mods? Aside from wiring...

Would the zr7 forks fit into the kz frame?

Any thing else I should be aware of?

Many thanks! Dave

·
Registered
792 Posts
Welcome.
Straight swap I doubt it.
Others have put 900/1000 motors in, so any things possable.
Front forks as well. Depends on the stem size. May need to swap stem or bearings, unless they are the same diametre.
If you can measure the engine mounting points, I or someone else can measure the 650 frame.
Same with the front forks/stem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This swap would be Too easy. I can go down to the shop and measure it. Or maybe bring the zr7 when going to buy the kz tomorrow. Which is a kz650 with an older motor (has kick start). $400- and rusty.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Ought to be a fairly easy swap, considering there is at least one ZR7 with a 750 Turbo motor running around. Just about bolt in, allowing for electrical differences. Front end can be made to work fairly cheaply.

If you want to get some money back, there are several people on 750turbo.com looking for the ZR7 rear shock. It's an easy and effective upgrade for the 750 Turbo. Just post it in the for sale forum at 750turbo.com for $100 or so and watch the action :D
I won't be one of them though, I've already installed a ZR7 shock on the Turbo :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright! That sounds great Mark,

It is a kz750ee so should bolt "Right in", nice. I don't want this project to take forever with brazing and fitting. What are TPS carbs? I'll search them.

Wonder if the newer swing arm fits the kz frame (might have to do some brazing?). And if the wheels fit the kz frame without the new sing arm.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Alright! That sounds great Mark,

It is a kz750ee so should bolt "Right in", nice. I don't want this project to take forever with brazing and fitting. What are TPS carbs? I'll search them.

Wonder if the newer swing arm fits the kz frame (might have to do some brazing?). And if the wheels fit the kz frame without the new sing arm.
Think you can convert from dual shock to monoshock without doing a chunk of work? :)

You can probably make the wheels fit pretty easily though.

I have a KZ650 with GSXR1000 suspension and wheels on it that's been converted to monoshock, someday I'll get around to putting a motor in it :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the ZR7 ZR750 motor does fit the KZ650 frame. It needs some alloy spacers or tabs rewelded. It's just one tab top rear off transmission. Bottom front tabs (2) on bottom rail of the frame need removal. The zr7 swingarm needs cutting from each end (hacksaw and file) 1/4" . Frame is 1/2" narrower. It's a pretty large job to cut new tubes and mounts for mono shock. Fun however!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a zr7 and the engine had some cracks in it. I looked at the block code and it was kz750ee so I ordered engine cases with that same code. all the bolt holes are the same and the covers are even interchangeable. Once I started to tear down my motor to reassemble in the new cases, I noticed that there is a chain tensioner casted into the block which is not on my "new" cases. I believe the new cases came from an older kz750 82 or something. two blocks with the same identification numbers but one is slightly different. Any help would be great

1 - 11 of 11 Posts