Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone owned a ZRX1200-R long term ? A friend of mine has a 2000 1100R and to say that I loved riding this bike is an understatement. I've been looking for a newer 1200 and now one has been listed, an '04. I was just wondering if anyone has owned one of these long enough to have put some miles (more than 15,000) and could tell me of any issues they have had with them, if any. My friend has only had his for just under a year and so far, no problems.

Thanks

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
2nd one and no problems what so ever on either one. the first one was wheelied all day long and never had a problem (not mile long 12 o'clock wheelies) you will never be sorry you bought a zrx whether it be a 1100 or 1200.
<---------- but them im kinda partial to them............

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
My son in-law has a 1999 green ZRX1100. This bike is in like new condition 11000 KMs (6500 milles give or take). So far he has it two riding seasons with zero problems. Got a he$$of a deal on it but I won't tell don't want you all to cry.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's, and if anyone else would like to post their experience with their Z-Rexes I would appreciate that too. Been looking over my finances, and i could go buy it, but that wouldn't leave me with the breathing room I like to have money wise. I've e-mailed the guy to see if he would be interested in trading for my 900. In the meantime I have a pile of lotto tickets I could check..LoL !! I'd hate to lose the Vulcan, but they are around and the ZRX's are few and far between here. The guy's price is a bit high but, that's what negotiating is for I suppose. Here's a pic of it.....it's THE RIGHT colour too !!!

[/IMG]

·
Registered
662 Posts
How heavy is the bike, a dealer about 100 miles away has one, not to bad of price I think, maybe going to look at in the next month.
Here is a link to it.
http://revdeals.com/cycle_inventory/index.php?ss=off&action=displayBig&iteminfo=solo|hpim0473.jpg

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boringly reliable.
You say that like it's a bad thing. :lol:

How heavy is the bike, a dealer about 100 miles away has one, not to bad of price I think, maybe going to look at in the next month.
Here is a link to it.
http://revdeals.com/cycle_inventory/index.php?ss=off&action=displayBig&iteminfo=solo|hpim0473.jpg
That's a nice bike in black. I haven't seen too many in black so far. Most of the one's I've seen so far have been red or green, though there was a really nice looking one on e-bay a month or so ago. That black 1100 that you posted the link to is a 2000 like my friend's. In answer to how much they weigh, they are right around the 500 LB mark, no fluids, 490 LBS comes to mind. They don't feel like that though, at least my buddies feels much lighter than that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ride a black 2000 1100 and I put close to 4500 miles on it after I got it in May of last year. Loved every second.
Yes, its a bit heavy but that just leaves room for mods that'll lighten it up quickly (exhaust system, wheels, etc).
Since you're considering the '04 model, I believe that those forks are not modable.

Before you buy it, I would suggest you join the ZRXOA site forum and you'll find TONS of info there, as well as some good deals on well cared for, and likely modded Rexes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just bought a 2001 ZRX, haven't got it home yet.
Hey Skunkwurcx hope you don't mind but that ZRX pic is my wall paper now.
Heya TripleRon, no probs on the wallpaper 8) That is a nice pic isn't it.....it was taken looking out towards the Atlantic Ocean. Initially I thought it was taken near a place overlooking the Northwest Arm here in Halifax, but now I look at it again, it could have been taken anywhere in my province.

I haven't bought that one yet. It's still for sale. Another one was listed yesterday locally, an '05 with only 2900 miles for $400.0 more than the one in the pic, and Green too !!!

They're calling to me, I can hear them in my sleep. I really don't have the space to put another bike, especially while I'll still working on the KZ, and I'm finding it difficult to justify a third bike. I guess Want hasn't quite over ruled Need yet :cry: I think I'd have to sell the Vulcan, but I love my Vulcan too :confused:

Anyways, take care, and good luck with the new bike. If it's anything like riding my friend's 2000 1100, you're going to love it !!! :mrgreen:

Don't forget to post pics !!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
The ZRX (in 1100 or 1200 form) are great bikes. I know several zxr owners that have put 50K+ on the zrx's without any problems. Main thing is to look for one that hasn't been left running on it's side after a accident. It causes oil starvation to the #3 rod bearing that eventually (days to months) kills the motor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've put 24k miles, and many tires on my '03. Keep them oiled, don't hang wheelies too long (on the 1100's anyway) and they'll last a long time. Stuff wears, so some folks have experienced cam and alternator chain stretch, etc.

There are some folks at the ZRXOA.org board who are at or above 100k miles on theirs.

The mods are the other fun (and very expressive) part of owning a ZRX. The stock bike is basically a blank canvas.

I've bumped mine up a few notches over the years with suspension, tire, brake, and engine mods. I've also added a few creature comforts, like an aftermarket saddle, tail rack, digital clock, brighter lighting, etc.

The ZRX is a classic UJM, and will last a long time if cared for.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need a front headlight fairing for this bike and a gas tank if possible. Anyone got an extra that they would want to sell or do you know of any place to get one not from dealer though. Thanks

·
newbiecon14
78 Posts
I have a friend who has on 05. stock, except a radar unit. He has 40,000 on his. He rides the pure **** out of it. He did a 50 hour iron but from jacksonville to San Diego on it. The only thing he had happen was the wiring harness rubbed in the wiring under the tank, and once he figured out what the deal was, repaired it. Trust me. I see how he rides his. They are tough. Ride hard

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Post pics you say......

Heya Ron....been awhile since I've been around....nice bikes !! Is that an Eliminator that I spy behind the Rex ?

I still haven't gotten my ZRX...but back in May I bought an '02 ZX9R. It was too nice to pass up and only had 4000 miles on it !!! I just couldn't find a Rex in the right shape that the owner didn't want the moon and stars for....even though they're prolly worth that.

Hope all is going well with your bike.....they're beauts for sure.

And thanks to eveyone for posting !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Heya Ron....been awhile since I've been around....nice bikes !! Is that an Eliminator that I spy behind the Rex ?

Hope all is going well with your bike.....they're beauts for sure.

And thanks to eveyone for posting !

Yeah that's a 900 Eliminator, sold it this past summer. Inexpensive reliable bike.
The other little bike behind me is a 1975 Kawasaki G5 100, my dad bought it new in 1975 & I will NEVER sell it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone owned a ZRX1200-R long term ? A friend of mine has a 2000 1100R and to say that I loved riding this bike is an understatement. I've been looking for a newer 1200 and now one has been listed, an '04. I was just wondering if anyone has owned one of these long enough to have put some miles (more than 15,000) and could tell me of any issues they have had with them, if any. My friend has only had his for just under a year and so far, no problems.

Thanks
I'm the one TWhite was referring to on the 05 ZRX.. I have had no problems, Till this morning.. I blew the clutch. Oh well , after all the miles & wheelies, some were on the way home yesterday, I guess it was about time..
Pulled fine when I returned home at about 5.00 yesterday.. Got up this morning, started her up & let her warm as usual, blasted out the drive & when I hung third it let go..
I put her on the lift & tore her down.. Monday morn. I will order new plates & steels. then I'll look for another 40000 miles ....

gunrunner 2

1 - 20 of 24 Posts