Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone knows if there are any hard saddle bags made for the ZX-14 other than the Corbin bags? I don't think I can justify spending $2,000 on a pair of saddle bags when my soft bags work alright. Hard bags would be quite a bit nicer though.

I noticed on the passenger pegs, there are a couple of extra bolts. Last year when I purchased the bike the dealer thought that they might come out with factory bags for it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't wait to get the C-14 so I got the ZX-14. That, and it gives me bragging rights over a couples of my buddies. I may like to tour with my ZX-14 but there are also days when I want to hit the drag strip. Perfect combo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I looked at the GIVI hard saddle bags and they look like cheap plastic universal buckets that you would expect to find at Walmart. The bracket system is horrible and detracts from the bike when the bags are not on. The ZX14 deserves better.

The Corbin saddle bags look excellent...... but at 1/6 the cost of the bike they are priced unrealistically. I do like the simplistic bracket design they use, just wish it was finished to look decent when the bags are not on the bike. Because the Corbin price is so unreasonable I am tempted to buy a set, make a mold, and then flog off enough sets until they are paid for twice over. I can't believe Kawasaki does make a set. They make a decent looking set for the Concours.

They should be $1k, offer a quick release feature, and have brackets that are barely visible when the bags are removed.

Spyglass

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
This thread is old, but no, the Givi bags are not cheap plastic like you'd find at walmart. They're very well made...and I've tested their ability to keep out the elements (even stuffed to the limit) on a number of occasions. They hold a lot of stuff too. Yes, the Corbin stuff looks better...but this isn't bad.

The SWMotech brackets also do not detract from the bike, as they are quick release (requiring only 4 half twists of a screwdriver per side to remove), leaving only small tabs, as shown:

The bags will also release from the actual bracket, but the only time I can see anyone leaving the bracket on the bike is while touring if they want to take their 'suitcases' (they work very well as such) up to the hotel room.

Wouldn't trade my system for anything. I use it for touring, commuting, and grocery shopping :biggrin:

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
GIVI makes top quality stuff.
No, I do not have a set for my ZX14, but have GIVI luggage on other bikes, as do many people I ride with, and their quality is great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have no doubt that the GIVI product line is highly functional.... just wish it would look like part of the bike / factory, and that it did not look so bad from the rear (its the bracket aspect that detracts from the bike mostly) The side look is probably its best.

I don't like the fact that you have to cut the rear body panel to install the upper brackets. (this is where the Corbin is a better approach - but with their system the bag is permanently bolted to the bike)

I do give GIVI a point over the Corbin for its suitcase feature - nice to be able to take your stuff into your motel room each night. Thanks for pointing that fact out, and the photos. It does appear that the GIVI is a bit larger in terms of storage.

What model of case do you have (is it the PLX446)?

Thanks for your help,

Spyglass

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
V35 PLX side cases.

The real issue is, not much is going to look like an integrated part of the bike...its a sport bike. For integrated bags, you go for a sport touring bike (like the Concours)...or pay the 2 grand for Corbin's setup (course, then you have to deal with Corbin if something goes wrong...and the bags are always there). These are the most integrated bags I could find that would be quick release (I don't think any bags look good on a sport bike...so I wanted to be able to remove them quickly).

However, you can paint part of these bags to look a bit more like they belong:

As for the cutting, you aren't cutting anything important...its not the painted tail-section...its black plastic that you literally have to be under the bike to see. The only thing I wish with this system is that you could use a fender eliminator...unfortunately the rear-most bracket uses the factory license plate location.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Here's a pic showing the bracket:

As you can see, the bracket that requires cutting goes behind the painted body panel...not through it. You can also clearly see where it mounts to the license plate mount.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
This thread is old, but no, the Givi bags are not cheap plastic like you'd find at walmart. They're very well made...and I've tested their ability to keep out the elements (even stuffed to the limit) on a number of occasions. They hold a lot of stuff too. Yes, the Corbin stuff looks better...but this isn't bad.

The SWMotech brackets also do not detract from the bike, as they are quick release (requiring only 4 half twists of a screwdriver per side to remove), leaving only small tabs, as shown:

I'm all over your set-up, and when the time is right I'll be getting the exact same bags and brackets as you. Personally, after hearing the horror stories related to Corbin's lack of customer service I wouldn't give them a dime....that and I think the Corbin bags looks plain silly.

You are 110% right, we're talking about adding hardbags to a bike never designed to have hardbags attached, we're talking sportbikes here...nothing we do is going to make the bike look like na RT or an FJR or a C-14.
However, I'll still take my ZX14 with those hardbags you have over pretty much any other bike on the road today.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
I'm all over your set-up, and when the time is right I'll be getting the exact same bags and brackets as you. Personally, after hearing the horror stories related to Corbin's lack of customer service I wouldn't give them a dime....that and I think the Corbin bags looks plain silly.

You are 110% right, we're talking about adding hardbags to a bike never designed to have hardbags attached, we're talking sportbikes here...nothing we do is going to make the bike look like na RT or an FJR or a C-14.
However, I'll still take my ZX14 with those hardbags you have over pretty much any other bike on the road today.
Ya but you are from BC, so at the least slightly crazy anyways. :biggrin:

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Hopefully one day when I grow up I will get the same setup on my 14.
I had planned to do it a year ago. But those darn things are expensive when you get the bags and SW parts at the same time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bubba68CS

That side view photo of your bike with the bags looks quite good. I think it looks as good as my brothers FJR and its factory cases - from the side.

I will have to make a rear bracket because I have the under tail modification on my ZX14 (foiled at every turn.... :lol: ).

Thanks once again for all your help, and for posting the pictures. I think I am slowly warming to the Givi. (I like that the bags are removeable and that you can paint the upper face).

Also, from the vib I am getting here, it sounds like Corbin is difficult to deal with.

Spyglass

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Actually, the side (with colored cases) is not my bike (same year/color though! :lol: )...its a photo available on TwistedThrottle.com's website...I threw it up to show what can be done with them. I've left mine all black for the moment since, as anamosity pointed out, they aren't cheap. Between the bags, centerstand, and windscreen, I'm tapped out for awhile.

Anyway, glad to at least offer a bit of insight as to the details of the system. It really is a nice setup.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts