Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 ZX-6 and am looking for a new pipe. The stock dual pipes look ok but they don't sound very good. All the exhaust I find is for the ZX-6R, not the ZX-6. Does anyone know if ZX-6R exhaust will bolt on a ZX-6? If not, where can I find exhaust for the ZX-6?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi dude.I have similar bike and had similar problem to yours.I solved it pretty easy.I just cut both mufflers and intend to install now one, better , may be Yoshimura or here are some others Claryx.Be aware that it's going to be pretty noisy if you do the same, I am sure that there isn't anything you heard before like sportbike without mufflers. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a '97 ZX-6 with a 4-1 Vance & Hines SS2R and it sounds BEAUTIFUL. You gotta remove the centerstand and getting to the oil filter is a pain, but it's worth it. You'll also need a rejet kit, or it will bog when you get to the higher RPM's.

The guy I bought mine from couldn't figure out how to reattach the rear bolt lower right belly pan after he got the new exhaust put in. All you gotta do is get a shorter mounting screw and a nut. Use a flathead screwdriver and a hammer and just tap the nut into place between the mounting bracket and the pipe.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
check to make sure muzzy makes a system cause I had the V&H on my old 600r and the whole oil filter issue was a pain in $#$ and resulted in having to remove the radiator, front fairing, all sorts of stuff just to take the exhaust off the bike.

·
Hallo, mine name iz Gretchen
8,826 Posts
I have carbon fiber Muzzy on my E and it sounds sweeeet but you do have the jet it or like Project Meyhem said it runs very cold. Oh yeah and by loosing the duel pipes and going with the carbon fiber single exaust system you'll drop probably 15lbs off the bikes. Those duels are a couple a heavy beasts.

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
in california it is illegal to change the exaust, or intake (although like 90% of all bikes on the street do have aftermarket pipes), , so if you live here I recommend you to just re-pack your stock exaust pipes, that way the vibration sound will go away, and it will probably be the cheapest way out for your problem. However if you have the budget, and do not live in cali.... splurge! get some nice aftermarket single pipe, which will give you more hp, and less weight... a win win situation if you ask me!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thmastr said:
in california it is illegal to change the exaust, or intake (although like 90% of all bikes on the street do have aftermarket pipes), , so if you live here I recommend you to just re-pack your stock exaust pipes, that way the vibration sound will go away, and it will probably be the cheapest way out for your problem. However if you have the budget, and do not live in cali.... splurge! get some nice aftermarket single pipe, which will give you more hp, and less weight... a win win situation if you ask me!
I think it is illegal in all states. It's a federal law, which supercedes any state laws. It just isn't enforced.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I know all states are different on exhaust noise levels, cause in NJ there is no standard but down in Delaware there one for how loud it can be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts