Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

zx 6 won't go above 100 mph

12K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  sdevdutt41 
#1 ·
I have a 95 zx-6. I had the carbs cleaned and synched at the beginning of the summer at school. On my ride back home I noticed that the bike is sluggish around 100 mph, I can hold the throttle half way and maybe after a full mile or two, get up to about 110. Before, I would open the throttle all the way and the bike would give a kick and it was off the races, hitting 140 without a problem. I do not know what the problem is and I am thinking maybe it is in the carbs or in the fuel inline filter addition. Any suggestions on where to start or what to do about it???

#4 ·
i'm having a similar problem with me 2002 zx6. When I go out with my fried.. I can hit close to redline in 1, 2, 3, then when i get to 4th and 5th... the bike will not go past 100 sometimes 106.. clutch is working ok.. i changed plugs, replaced coils, fuel filters inline and regular..i dont think its carbs sense it run great in the first three gears.. I have no idea where to go from here.. so im in the same boat with you..

-t-

#13 ·
see thats my worry, if it is the carbs, i'm not an expert with checking the float height, i mean i've sort of read about how to do it in the repair manual but I don't fully understand what tools are needed to do such a thing. If i take it to a shop, they will charge at least $300+ to even look at carbs, so I guess I'm in a tight spot. Ill have to start with the easier suggestions and work my way up I guess but thanks for all the advice i've been getting...

#14 ·
Mine would fall FLAT at 80mph and would go no further i couldnt even use gears 5&6 . They said my carbs were so far out it wasnt even funny, how they got that way idk. You could also be running too rich/lean, im gonna guess too lean.
BTW now that they synched and cleaned my carbs n stuff i rode last night and she pulls nice and strong to at least 115...so far ;)

#15 ·
Fuel flow is not an issue during use of lower gears and if the carbs are well set up to factory specs no issues should occur. I think the filter in combination with bad float height may be the problem.

BTW, drive as fast as you want knowing it isn't safe, just ya know, keep it to yourself. ;)

Good luck with the carbs as it sounds like a fuel issue to me.

#18 ·
Well if thats what he purchased his bike for. Some people buy slow vehicles to cruise and drive slow and some people (like me) prefer fast and aggressive vehicles to ride/drive fast.

I love them fast but it is just too hard to keep it within reason when there is so much left to use once you are up to speed. There is a few reasons I went with a 500R to reaquaint myself with riding again. I push everything I drive to its limit to see what it will do. I didn't need to jump right on a ZX-10 or 14 although I think it would be a blast I think I would have pushed myself to the limit before the bike hit its limit and have killed myself. I do have a lot of Life insurance but I can't spend a dime of it so I may as well stick around for a long time so no one esle can.

I have ridden too fast on the road on the 500R more than I care to admit and I think that kind of riding should be done on the track but I have a stupid streak and I try to keep it under control.

#19 ·
I love them fast but it is just too hard to keep it within reason when there is so much left to use once you are up to speed. There is a few reasons I went with a 500R to reaquaint myself with riding again. I push everything I drive to its limit to see what it will do. I didn't need to jump right on a ZX-10 or 14 although I think it would be a blast I think I would have pushed myself to the limit before the bike hit its limit and have killed myself. I do have a lot of Life insurance but I can't spend a dime of it so I may as well stick around for a long time so no one esle can.

I have ridden too fast on the road on the 500R more than I care to admit and I think that kind of riding should be done on the track but I have a stupid streak and I try to keep it under control.
Lol, its all good man im not saying you have to do it. Staying within skill level is the most important thing.

#20 ·
I have rode many different bikes dirt cruiser and sport bike and I have rode them all very hard. I just have to learn self control. I took a 10 year break from motorcycles and I had a bad itch and it was killing me seeing others ride their bikes. I had to get another.

#21 ·
So we got in motor over the weekend...

We cleaned out the carbs today and still having a problem hit 4th gear and it starts stuttering really violently.. and sometime if you come off the throttle a little the stuttering stops and starts to pick up speed again..

Driving us crazy this problem! I 'm sure it's something simple..

-T-

#24 ·
Could be the tank is not venting properly. Crack the fill cap on the tank the next time and see if there is a vacuum. Also, on these old bikes, depending on the number of miles, a compression check might be in order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.