Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have problem with my 1997 zx-6r. The bike was crashed (slide - right side plastic parts, scratches on clutch covering, ...). After that, the engine doesn't start. When I press start button, the engine is turning, but it doesn't start.

What could be a problem?

Thank you for your answers.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Carbs could be messed up from being on the side like that. There could be some damage to the flywheel or other internal components too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Freakinout, thank you for the answer.

What do you suggest me to do now with the engine? I hope there is not a damage in the engine. The engine is turning (when I press start button) normal, but it doesn't start, so the flywheel or something like that could not be damaged, what do you think?

Maybe some damage to electricall system or something like that - maybe spark plugs don't have spark..? Is it complicated to check for a spark? What do I have to take apart in the machine (reservoar, air-filter box, something more?).

I think I should take it to mechanic, or is there something more, I can check before?

Another question, there is oil leaking out of clutch covering. Should I pay attention to that?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Start

Look for spark first, you know you have compression...then check for vents...from tank...I'm not sure about the little canister or fuel in the vent lines...suppose I should get a manual or just let things pass to the experts...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zx-2r, how do I check spark? What do you mean about compression? I don't know what is compression like, because I bought crashed bike. I hope there is a compression :lol:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Spark

Remove a sparkplug and connect the spark plug wire to it and then connect the sparkplug to a ground (you may have to use a wire to a good bare metal place and when the bike is trying to start see if there is a spark jumping across the plug gap. This is easier when it is dark enough to see. Did you check to see that you have no Emergency on/off/on switch accidently turned off? If you don't have spark then that narrows your problems down.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Oil Leak

I think that maybe you should have it checked out and have the shop look at things closely. If it went down on the right side even the throttle cables could be stretched, or broken. Your carbs don't like being on their sides...When they have finished looking at it at least you know that they have checked everything possible...or they would miss a sale and time/labor working on it. Sorry to hear that the bike crashed...not a good thing to hear...ever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts