Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello people ill just leave a post while watching election i went to the bike shop today to see if they had a yamaha yzf600r AKA thundercat..but i sat on it and omg when i tilted it to the right i felt so much weight it was silly and the only other 600cc there was a beautiful ninjaZX-6R the 636 one but it was strange that it didnt have undertail pipe anyway i sat on it and i was like WOW awesome lovely ballance and weight but i am gonna wait till they have the R6 and CBR600RR in to sit on them too oh btw it is gonna be my first bike............ANY INFO OR ADVICE WOULD BE COOL THNX

·
Registered
28 Posts
The bike choices are easy.
Pick the one you like best. They are all great motorcycles.

The rest is harder:
Riding course, safety gear ect... You know the drill but if you don't and want to.... just ask.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the new 600's are really quick, i just got a 04 636 after riding a 98 gsxr750 for a couple of years and i am really surprised how quick the 636 is. faster then my 98. just be careful and respect the bike you should be ok.

·
Registered
154 Posts
On last Friday I took a 636 for test ride. It is a friendly bike to ride slowly, but a hell if you push it. I cannot recommend that bike to any beginner. Read this from Cycle News (2003):

I sat further back, got my chin hard on the tank to obviate a nasty buffeting I'd felt on my helmet, and held the grips with just the tips of my fingers.
Twenty-four very long seconds later the 636 stopped accelerating at an indicated 277km/h, howling along at 100rpm below the power peak. This translates to a genuine road speed of 262km/h, making this the fastest street-legal 600 I've ridden.

With this much velocity on offer, it had better have very good brakes; the 636 shares the six-pot Tokico callipers and 280mm semi-floating discs of the race replica. They deliver immense power with more than adequate feel.

1/4 mile: 10.38 sec. @ 132.292 MPH

The Bottom Line: “The Kawasaki ZX6R (636), a bike that really impressed everyone who rode it and made our final decision easy. The excellent fuel injection, heaps of torque and power in all the right places, the best brakes, and an excellent chassis make the 636 a slam dunk as the 2003 Cycle News Middleweight Shootout winner.”

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would go for the zx6r (636)
I’ve gone from a 1989 gpx600r witch was a good bike in its day
To a 98 ZX6R
I went for a blast today got to 150 mph 240 kmh no problem
And it was still going. And it goes round corners like its on rails
No chicken strips for me. What more could you want
What I would say is that the new zx6r is a lot more focused
And a more radical riding position
:D :D :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cale said:
On last Friday I took a 636 for test ride. It is a friendly bike to ride slowly, but a hell if you push it. I cannot recommend that bike to any beginner. Read this from Cycle News (2003):

I sat further back, got my chin hard on the tank to obviate a nasty buffeting I'd felt on my helmet, and held the grips with just the tips of my fingers.
Twenty-four very long seconds later the 636 stopped accelerating at an indicated 277km/h, howling along at 100rpm below the power peak. This translates to a genuine road speed of 262km/h, making this the fastest street-legal 600 I've ridden.

With this much velocity on offer, it had better have very good brakes; the 636 shares the six-pot Tokico callipers and 280mm semi-floating discs of the race replica. They deliver immense power with more than adequate feel.

1/4 mile: 10.38 sec. @ 132.292 MPH

The Bottom Line: “The Kawasaki ZX6R (636), a bike that really impressed everyone who rode it and made our final decision easy. The excellent fuel injection, heaps of torque and power in all the right places, the best brakes, and an excellent chassis make the 636 a slam dunk as the 2003 Cycle News Middleweight Shootout winner.”
Where did you get that 1/4 mile time from that doesnt sound right?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If it were me I would look for a used bike to purchase that had 30-70Hp. People that say they get bored are probably going in a straight line and if they are not cudos to them. The idea is to learn and become proficient which IMHO is easier to do on a bike that is lighter and has less horsepower.
Some suggested bikes:
ZX-6
80's - 90's 600
Ninja 250
Ninja 500

What you will find is that if you can ride a Ninja 250 or other bike hard going up in size is easier vs riding a 600 fair to ok and not being able to handle it. The final decision is yours, but there is a reason why initial motorcycle training schools use smaller cc bikes.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If it were me I would look for a used bike to purchase that had 30-70Hp. People that say they get bored are probably going in a straight line and if they are not cudos to them. The idea is to learn and become proficient which IMHO is easier to do on a bike that is lighter and has less horsepower.
Some suggested bikes:
ZX-6
80's - 90's 600
Ninja 250
Ninja 500

What you will find is that if you can ride a Ninja 250 or other bike hard going up in size is easier vs riding a 600 fair to ok and not being able to handle it. The final decision is yours, but there is a reason why initial motorcycle training schools use smaller cc bikes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
SICKEVAN:Where did you get that 1/4 mile time from that doesnt sound right?

My text already says that - 2003 Cycle News Middleweight Shootout

·
Registered
8 Posts
last summer, bought my first bike...a green 02 zx6r. still 600 cc, still carb'd. it was a great learner bike, not enough power to get away from you, but a lot of power to play with once you get comfortable. I throw that thing all over the place now and can stunt it moderately.

its time for me to move on to a new bike, and i specifically have my eyes on the 04 636s. i know a few people that own em and they love em. first off they look 100x meaner than any other bike out there now (my opinion), theres a world of aftermarket accessories for them, and the extra 36 ccs DOES make a difference. not to mention the fuel injection is wonderful. i heard theyre a fine beginner bike. the power wont get away from you if you dont let it.

anyone seen the 05 636s? crazy looking....

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
If you want to get a new bike get one you like. If you do decide that the new 600s are too fast for you right now take a look at the Honda 599, the Suzuki SV650S, and the Yamaha FZ6. They are nice quick bikes that make learning to ride easyer and are much more forgiving. They will also last longer for you then a 250 or a 500. They look nicer too IMO. Go with what you like though. I would never buy soemthing I can't stand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
just got my first bike a few weeks ago, a 1993 600r.

The bike weighs a ton when i need to push it around the drive way. But when i am on it and on the street, i can't beleive how easy it is to move around.

I sat and looked at many bikes to find the right first bike for me. I was lucky to find something like this that felt great when riding with a nice stance and wa s not jumpy in first gear.

funny how once you get going the 400+ lbs seems to just seem like 50.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts