Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 ZX-6RR and would like to know what the best suspension settings are for normal street riding. I've read on some other sites that some owners have even lowered the rear end by changing their suspension settings, making the riding position a little less aggresive. :)

I've also found some suspension settings recommended by a motorcycle magazine, but I believe they were for racing. :(

If anyone has any experience with suspension settings on a 2003 ZX-6RR, I would appreciate your help! :D

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BEFORE

Before yo make any adjustments make sure that you correctly have your initial settings written down...before you even start....teh process or you will have mess on your hands...do only hte rear first then the front,,,and have someone help you with your notebook...in your logging of measurements and twists in or out...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS

Before you do that stuff also read SPORT RIDER Feb, 2004 it explains what yyou are adjusting and how, and why...both are good articles but the combination of the two of them are better ...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SUSPENSION

The articles are awesome and the first one is really cool as it kind of gets deep but at the same time the caution is there to take notes and wha t to expect and how to go to far and then bring it back...REALLY interesting reading...Of course oif you have a NInja 250R or a Ninja 500R, you can remove the entire shock from the motorcycle and measure the spring length and adjust it from 0mm to 20mm from full length and then reinstall it and hope that you have found it somewhere in the area that you want using the spanner wrenches and then reinstalling it. to test it...no dampening...nothing but setting the basic spring tension...but of course they are set in the factory for the "Average" rider...What kinda bull Xrap is that? anyway I hope you have success in finding your settings..should you NOT be able to find the articles let me know and I'll make up some hard copies and mail them to you, if yo uPROMISE not to turn me in for making copies...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
???

Haven't been to their web site...I just stack magazines after I read them and then refer to them when I/someone else has a question...If it is in their tech section then it has to be good!
Curious though...I'm really interested in the ZX-6RR, but wondered how it was actually for the road...I have also considered the much heavier 4 carb version ZZR-600... the weight is a lot different but power I would say wouldn't be to much different(?) but as far as riding in the saddle...that's what I'm interested in long rides and behind...
I'm 100% disabled do to "Failed Back Syndrome". I have litttle to no feeling in my legs or feet MOST of the etime, but while I can still walk I want to ride. I can't take the cruiser upright ride because of the presssure on my spine but I seem to be fine on a Ninja500R that I borrowed. I'm in the process of putting a 250R back on the road for Physical therapy and then next year start off on some road trips starting small and working my way back into cross country rides...like my younger years...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I've been riding my ZX-6RR for a little over 500 miles and I have to say that for the long haul, it's a little uncomfortable. This by no means is a comfortable bike, but if you compare it to other sports bikes, I guess it's no different. The riding position is very VERY aggresive (well duh it is a racing bike), the seat position tends to push you towards the tank. Therefore, you find yourself, repositioning yourself in the seat, unless (like someone else on the forum said) you like getting an inverted wedgie! And if you hit some bumps in the road while you're up against the tank, you may get a little surprise, :shock: OUCH!!!!!

At highway speeds I find myself crouching down as low as possible, but the short windshield makes of a lot of wind turbulance around my helmet.

The bike is very nimble, very light for a 600CC bike and the power is awesome!! I guess the best features of the bike are: 1) the Quick Handling, very responsive, predictable and the bike feels solid! 2) the Power, awesome power, 3) the Freakin Awesome Brakes! I can't get over how good the brakes are! 4) the styling! This bike will make people notice you, specially if you have a ZX-6RR, it only comes in Kawasaki Racing Green! 5) the great gas mileage, I'm getting around 43 MPG, that sure beats my Surburban at 16 MPG!

In short, other than the riding position being a little too aggresive (but then again this is a racing bike) :roll: I LOVE THIS BIKE!! :D

By the way I'm 44, so a lot of my complaints come from being just plain old! And I ride it to work every day, well when the weather is good! 26 miles round trip.

Anyway I hope this helps!! :D

Ed

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
51 years young

Thanks for the info...so now I know why everyone wants a pad for the tank. Puig makes a racing windscreen just a little taller than the stock and thy make one for cruising that is even taller...Perhaps with the back situation I should consider setting on the bikes for several hours at the dealership. My 51 year old body will have to see/feel the differences...If you get the chance to ride a ZZR-600, let me know how much different it it...I'd appreciate it. But I sorta want the green Machine...I'm not to old to remember when it comes to all the riding and what i'm missing out on...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep the tank pad is a must have item! I considered changing the windscreen, but I'll give it some time, it's not that bad once you get used to it. Plus I'm no speed demon! 8)

I would defintely try it out at the dealer, take as long as you need, you won't regret it.

My advice to you: Get the green machine!!!! We're never too old dude!! You won't regret it, it's awesome!! Unless of course you want to take a cross country trip or something; then stay away from the the green bike. :? By the way there's a good looking used one for sale on this forum. Not very expensive either! :wink:

I don't know anyone with a ZZR-600, but you never know! If I come across one I'll defintely try it out!

Stay safe and take the plunge!! Get the green machine!! :D

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

As soon as my financial situation is stable...I'm going to Beartooth in Red Lodge, MT...I may live in Kansas, but geting my insurance and tags and taking them with me up there is no problem once I have the Mortgage payments changed...right now I'm at a little over $1,700/mo and that isn't covering my insurance...crazy story, but It's going to change...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Thank you!

Thanks for the upbeat! I hope to be out soon on my own...bike. The windshield situation is something you must consider, as you can ALWAYS change it back...but you probably won't...once you see how great the replacements are...I hope tha tyou find the right settings and record your every click...let me know about any rides like the ZZR if you get a chance to check one out...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SUSPENSION

Just keep a log of beginning settings and then go through and adjust till you get it all sorted out...just save the log!!! OH...Wish I had a Kawasaki mototcycle, that is what I wish I truely had, cause if I had a Kawaski, then I 'd ...be like "on the road again, I can't wait to get on the roas again... Just run those oscar meyer adn country songs together and I'm Zoom...gone...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts