Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I just picked up a zx-750 and am going to get to riding. It's been sitting in a garage for 1 years, but it was working fine before hand...

I need any suggestions:

Starter motor works, but the engine doesn't seem to turn. It get almost there, but then dies. Now there's occasional backfire when i try to start the engine... i can't get it to start!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
slk23022,

Before you go any further you will probably need to do a couple of things.

1. Replace battery
2. Dump all fluids - oil, coolant, gas and brake fluid
3. Replace filters - oil/air filter
4. Replace the plugs as they are cheap.
5. Most important probably to getting the bike running is a real good cleaning of your carbs.
6. Check your brakes.

When you clean your carbs make sure you remove all the gaskets prior to getting carb cleaner over them otherwise you will deteriorate the rubber. Key areas to clean are by the butterfly valves and also on the jets. The float needles and ensure that there are no obstructions.

Hard starting could be caused by old gasoline that has been sitting and wasn't treated and also the carbs being either gummed up or varnish accumulating on parts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir! I'm on it... first the fluids...

Any idea on the backfire? After cranking it would occassionally randomly let out a HUGE boom and shoot a small ball of fire out the exhaust...

THanks!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Backfires are usually caused by a lean condition. Let's see once you have the carbs cleaned. I suspect that the gas is not flowing 100%, but once cleaned it may take care of it and if not, we'll still be here for the next step.

PS, I'm Daron and your welcome. You are not too far from me, so if you need help I am here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you much! Lemme see... we're going to do a carb clean, and we were about to change out the spark plugs, but we can't get them out! We don't have the correct socket.. they're all too thick (in girth, or diameter) and won't fit into the sparkplug hole.

We even took a special trip to Kawasaki and they sold us a spark plug thing (16mm) that would do the job, but won't fit in... is there a special thin-walled socket?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Check in your tool kit under the seat probably in a compartment or exposed by the battery???? If you are missing your tool kit then you'll have to stop by Sears or something.

Double check your manual if you have one to see if it is really 16mm. I know I have an oddball size in 18mm and the dealer told me a different size to boot!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I had the same problem with my 750. I replaced the plugs and it started easy. Idels rough but thats prolly cause the carb needs to be adjusted and prolly cleaned too. As far as removing them, I took a normal deep socket and took it too my grinder untill it fit in, hehe. Works great.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I had the same problem with my 750. I replaced the plugs and it started easy. Idels rough but thats prolly cause the carb needs to be adjusted and prolly cleaned too. As far as removing them, I took a normal deep socket and took it too my grinder untill it fit in, hehe. Works great.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Don't forget to check the fork seals, chain tension/condition and post a picture.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grr.. this stupid grinding thing is really holding everything back... we took the tank off, drained the fuel, and we're waiting to grind the socket down so we can change out the plugs... so long!! i want to ride!!

Actually... what's a good oil to use?? I don't really need performance, i just want something cost efficent. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
On my 900 I use 15/50 synthetic. The synthetic will coat the cylinder for starting of the motor when there is the least amount of oil at the top of the engine and IMHO is better to have a synthetic.

I've used dinosaur oil as well and multiblends. Brands have been Mobil 1, Motul 5100 and Motorex.

Motorex synthetic is my preferred brand

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Eh? why are you waiting? It took me a total of 1 hour to grind the socket, remove the tank, change the plugs, and fire her up. I supose if you don't have a grinder that might slow you down though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:( Bingo... we don't have access to the grinder until monday. Everything else we completed... what would you recommend with the clutch?

I've never dealt with a hydraulic clutch... it doesn't seem to have any pressure... we're about to bleed it.. you think that may do the trick?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you squeeze it and you get no resistance, my bet is you have air in the line. Once you bleed it you should be ok. Make sure you have fluid in the resevoir when you start to pump the clutch in and out. Easier to do with 2 people. 1 person doing the pumping on top and the other opening and closing the valve down below to get the air out. Within a few pumps you should start to feel resistance again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ahh yes.. excellent... thank you for the tips! I'll let you know the results once we start up again tmoorrow... :)

THANKS!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Need a manual for the exact number. Just to give you an idea though
for my Ninja 900 it is .7mm - .8mm .0028-.0031 inches

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you much... i just looked int he manual and finally found it! The spark plugs we took out were disgusting... purely disgusting...

I'll post pictures soon!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Did u get the socket ground down yet? I take that as a yes since you have the plug out...

I'm sure you are learning all kinds of stuff doing the basic maintenance on the bike. If the plugs were fouled up - black/dry - that may indicate that the bike was running rich.....if they were black/oily you may be getting oil passed the pistons. If you have a digital - take a pic of all four plugs and post.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts