Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, got ya'll a question. assuming it checks out, i'll be picking up a 96 ZX-9R. the guy says it needs a new rear tire, and i've had a very bad experience with mixed sets of tires so i'll be replacing both. i was looking at the continential conti force and conti force max, i'm not sure which one to go with. this bike is going to be a daily rider and i need something that will also allow me to ride in the rain as it'll be my only transportation. any ideas (decent milage wouldn't be bad ethier) any idea how much milage i can expect from those two?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Mileage

As winter approaches an dyou will be riding in at least rain, get the softest tires...mileage means nothing if you dump your bike because the tires were not soft enough, grippy enough, weren't good enough in the rain...Better to replace a pair of tires early an dto have NEVER gone down. Conti is on the comeback in tires according to the magazine articles...get the best you can afford...'nuff said?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Mileage

ZX-2R said:
As winter approaches an dyou will be riding in at least rain, get the softest tires...mileage means nothing if you dump your bike because the tires were not soft enough, grippy enough, weren't good enough in the rain...Better to replace a pair of tires early an dto have NEVER gone down. Conti is on the comeback in tires according to the magazine articles...get the best you can afford...'nuff said?
oh yeah, i almost forgot to menition, maybe i should put it somewhere, i live in central florida, cold for around here is a few 60* mornings in the "dead" of winter. is a few mornings in the low 60's really gonna get the tires that hard?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
cant really comment on the conti's since ive never used them BUT i imagine they would both do you fine.
since your in florida (the land of NO TURNS from what ive heard/read) i would get some tires that are gonna last awhile.
also, if your front tire is still good then theres no reason you need to buy both. ive run different tires on most/all of my bikes and NEVER had a problem EVER. if your riding that hard on the street to overcome the tires then you are a squid and need to go to the track. :roll:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QKENUF4U said:
cant really comment on the conti's since ive never used them BUT i imagine they would both do you fine.
since your in florida (the land of NO TURNS from what ive heard/read) i would get some tires that are gonna last awhile.
also, if your front tire is still good then theres no reason you need to buy both. ive run different tires on most/all of my bikes and NEVER had a problem EVER. if your riding that hard on the street to overcome the tires then you are a squid and need to go to the track. :roll:
definately not riding that hard on the street, i'll just put a rear tire on it in that case

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Metzler (sp?) will be a very good choice for your area. The riders I know in flordia swear by the tires. Great traction in the rain. (the z4 or z6 or something along those lines)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts