Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day fellow nutters,
my names mark and i have an old '89 ZX1000b. The engines conked out (i've done about 200 thou' or so onit, so it aint no suprise), so I thought it would be a good idea to strip the bugger down, rip her guts out, clean the bugger up, and stick a new engine in her. However, i've been wonderin' if some body out there knows of any engine (other than a 1000cc ZX engine)that would fit in the chassis that i've got.
And if someone does, do ya reckon you could use laymans terms 'cos i pretty much suck at this stuff.
Also does any one know any chemicals that are good at strippin' rust? 'cos my exhaust is rusted to buggery
thanx

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
For rust removal I have used pool acid (muriatic acid). You can mix it 50/50 or slow the removal process by watering down the soloution. you can always use elbow grease and some steel wool depending what it looks like or sandpaper.

Not that you want to go down in size, but I am pretty sure a Gpz900r engine will bolt in and possibly a Concours.

200k miles is more than my car!

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
G'day N4RK,

Welcome to the Forum.....I love Australia.
Used to live in Exmouth Western Australia!!!!

I used a Coca cola and some aluminum foil...I scoffed that this until I actually tried it. I removed the rust from the exhaust pipes and made them look pretty shiney.

Heather

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
200k is nothing with bikes if you take care of them. a guy on www.zrxoa.org has 150k on his and uses it as his test bed for his turbo systems (over 200hp now)
as for the rust, just have it sand/bead blasted and repaint it.
as for a replacement motor, get a new cylinder/head and go thru your tranny (inspect all parts of the engine and rebuild)
good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts