Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the options for a '86 era head with shot seats? Manual says "discard cylinder head" - ow - chances are a salvage head won't be any better. Seats look to be pressed into the head - Kawa microfiche doesn't show seats as individual parts. Could a crafty machine shop replace them and re-cut?

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
What are the options for a '86 era head with shot seats? Manual says "discard cylinder head" - ow - chances are a salvage head won't be any better. Seats look to be pressed into the head - Kawa microfiche doesn't show seats as individual parts. Could a crafty machine shop replace them and re-cut?
A crafty machine shop can build anything your checkbook can buy. Whether you have a big enough number to the left of your decimal place in the register will determine how to proceed. Not knowing where you are makes it hard to guess how much it will cost, but mid-west shops usually have lower prices than west coast.
Hourly rate charged by the shop won't determine total cost. A shop that works 24 hours at $40/hr is going to cost more than the shop that charges $65/hr for 12 hours of work, but too many people can't seem to grasp that when getting quotes.:frown:
With all that said, try to find a GOOD automotive machine shop in your area. Just because they have a business license doesn't mean they know how to machine parts. Get referrals if at all possible. Then get a quote. After you get a quote to R&R the seats:eek: you will probably begin searching for a new head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. I'm in Northern California so i'm sure there's no shortage of places that will do the work - but as you said, finding a quality shop. Maybe i'll get a few quotes, haven't had a good cry in a while...

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'm in Northern California so i'm sure there's no shortage of places that will do the work - but as you said, finding a quality shop. Maybe i'll get a few quotes, haven't had a good cry in a while...
I wouldn't take the first opinion of them being "shot" unless you know they are.

I wouldn't assume that a salvage head from a dismanted bike would be hosed. My bike has 75k miles and the head is still fine.

Northern kali? I know a top notch machine shop in Mountain View... if you know where that is, it might be worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know Mountain View well - down there a fair amount for work. What's the name of the place? Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts