Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Gang...

How much should I pay for a new 04 ZX10R in Orange (if that makes a difference). I just happened into the showroom one afternoon and I'm hooked ! ! !

To give you an idea of how long it's been, my last bike was a Kawasaki 500 - the 3 cylinder, 2-stroker from 1970's ! ! !

My wife's excited about getting it too! Oh, we're by no means NOT worried about $$$, so it does matter how much ! ! !

Thanks for any light you guys can shed ! ! !

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The 10R is a BIG step up from what you had. You might wanna go for something smaller like the 6R or 6RR.

The 10R is the most unforgiving bike ever made. It has more power than any other bike and less weight than most 600cc bikes. A mistake on that bike will kill you quickly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Freakin' . . .

I appreciate your concern, man, and I appreciate your letting me know this bike can get real squirrely real quick! I WILL take it easy til I get a certain level of intimacy w/ the bike for sure! And I will respect the bike for what I know it's capable of.

A second person will also do a little something to weight it down won't it ? ? ?

They told me I was KRAZY back then for gettin' the H-1 500 as it was my first bike ever ! ! ! Ahhhh, the muscle cars I'd smoke ! ! !

·
Registered
15 Posts
The second person will make it harder to ride AND it will be a LOT lighter in the front. I would agree that it is a HUGE step - probably too big!

I've seen them sell for as low as $9600 but more frequently around the $10,400 range if you can get them off of the MSRP. They are indeed a wicked machine! They are smaller than a 600 in size but have the power closer to a 12R. I wouldn't use it for distances let alone 2 up riding!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Freakin'... Nice Bike ! ! !

Zang . . .

Thanks for your opinion, too! Am I wrong to assume that the 10R is only as wild as far as one is willing to twist the right wrist ? Or is there some handling situations with the bike that can occur at any speed ? ! ? !

The way I got used to the 500 was just to ride it alot like I was going to church on it just down the street. I didn't have any immediate plans to yank the front wheel in the first three gears or anything.

Have you guys ever ridden one of the old 3-cyl 2-trokes bikes Kawasaki made? They were pretty sick machines back then! Acceleration in the 2-stroke was its forte.

. . . or am I simply being naive ? ? ? ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
No they handle like a dream but the front becomes light with any throttle in the first 3 gears (or so). They aren't set up for 2 up riding and that would just make it SCARY! If you rode with a brain, you could learn to ride it I'm sure. I've ridden an old Kawi triple and they were pretty impressive. My Vmax was more so but the 10R scares the $hit out of me. My 12R is much more refined. The 10R is probably the coolest and best performance bike out there (Bar NONE). It is the REAL DEAL for sure. Again though, it's not really a 2 up bike unless you are two very small people. I wouldn't even bother trying a passenger for weight balance reasons. If the passenger leans wrong at all, you're gonna be toast. It is very well designed for what it is but has no forgiveness for that sort of thing. It goes where you think it will you don't even really have to try but a passenger leaning would surly send you off the path!

If I was about 10 years younger and had someone else paying the insurance, it would be my choice. The 12R fits me better. If you decide on the 10R I could never fault you, it looks like a pissed off Hornet and runs/rides even BETTER!

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I've ridden a yamaha 350 two stroke, and those things have quite a bit of power. I just wouldn't recommend a zx10R to anyone, but if your hearts set then just be extra careful with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zang, Freakin' . . .

I apprerciate all your help and advice! Maybe the 10 would be a bit too squirrely for two. The ZX12 might be better ? ? ? They had a new 2002, yes, 2002, ZX12 that was cheaper than the ZX10 ! ! ! I would be riding the bike 75% but the wife likes G-Forces too so on weekends and stuff she'd be on w/ me.

I weigh in at about 220 lbs. so I wanted a bike that I wouldn't bog down under my weight. My wife's only 120 so she's no problem. But maybe the 12 would be the answer ! ! ! What do you guys think ? ? ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Rocket Rider said:
I weigh in at about 220 lbs. so I wanted a bike that I wouldn't bog down under my weight.
The ZX-10R will bog down under your weight. Sure, you'll get up to 185 mph, but after that the piece of junk just won't do too much more... 8)

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
How about different take on it-----if you're going to be riding with the wife on the back a lot----take a look at the ZZR1200. A more comfortable and controllable machine---that will still eat up any Camaro on the road.

The ZX10R is just one balls out ride that while it has rear footpegs and a tiny back seat---should really be considered a single rider---things can go real wrong --FAST--- on that bike. Unless you're a pro rider---you really shouldn't be looking at this bike------the biggest and baddest is nice----but DEAD will get you nowhere.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Rocket Rider said:
Zang, Freakin' . . .

I apprerciate all your help and advice! Maybe the 10 would be a bit too squirrely for two. The ZX12 might be better ? ? ? They had a new 2002, yes, 2002, ZX12 that was cheaper than the ZX10 ! ! ! I would be riding the bike 75% but the wife likes G-Forces too so on weekends and stuff she'd be on w/ me.

I weigh in at about 220 lbs. so I wanted a bike that I wouldn't bog down under my weight. My wife's only 120 so she's no problem. But maybe the 12 would be the answer ! ! ! What do you guys think ? ? ?
The zx12R is a better answer, much more forgiving than the 10R, and it'll be a lot torquer too. (good for 2up riding)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Rocket Rider said:
jonesie619 said:
Rocket Rider said:
But maybe the 12 would be the answer ! ! ! What do you guys think ? ? ?
Go for the 12!!!
Jonesie . . .
Thanks for your opinion but would you mind stating your reasons for it ? ? ?
Thanks in advance.

Rocket Rider
In no particular order...

1: Price
-- I know you stated money is not an issue, so this may not be a valid point. But I'd rather start used and then move up to new.

2: Usability
-- I think that you and your wife would be more comfortable, from a safety standpoint. This is based on your statement that she would be riding with you.

3: Skill Level
-- This may not be the correct term, but much like yourself, I hadn't ridden in a while either. Bought a used EX500 to reacquaint myself with riding, after a 8-10 year layoff. Ease in to it Bro, like a new pair of shoes.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Hmmm..... You said you might get the 12R? Well from a ride i once i had i can tell you, its no nimble creature, its fast, but its not agile in the least. I'd say get the ZX-10R, But use your brain about it. It has GOOBs of torque. I have ridding 2 UP on one once(it was around the block, but ****) I felt like my balls fell into my shoes. He said that if you know how to control the throttle, you'll be ok. If you were considering the ZX-10R get it, Getting burned in the twistes by an unmoded (unmoded ZX-2R, unmoded) 250 wouldn't leave a good mark. Of course, neither would road rash, or worse :( . What I'm trying to say is, take one out for a spin, see how you like it. If i could recomend a bike, it would be the Z1000, Its just a wicked lokking bike 8) good lcuk

Peter.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
ZX-10R Urza said:
Hmmm..... You said you might get the 12R? Well from a ride i once i had i can tell you, its no nimble creature, its fast, but its not agile in the least. I'd say get the ZX-10R, But use your brain about it. It has GOOBs of torque. I have ridding 2 UP on one once(it was around the block, but ****) I felt like my balls fell into my shoes. He said that if you know how to control the throttle, you'll be ok. If you were considering the ZX-10R get it, Getting burned in the twistes by an unmoded (unmoded ZX-2R, unmoded) 250 wouldn't leave a good mark. Of course, neither would road rash, or worse :( . What I'm trying to say is, take one out for a spin, see how you like it. If i could recomend a bike, it would be the Z1000, Its just a wicked lokking bike 8) good lcuk

Peter.
I've never heard of the 12R not being nimble, although not quite as nimble as the 10R or 6RR, it still should be a LOT more capable than the 250

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went to look at both the 10R and the 12R again today! D-R-O-O-L ! ! ! :D

The 12R I could definitely see as not nearly as nimble as the 10, that's for sure. Even the sales dude said that exact same thing.

Boy were they pushin' me towards the 10R ! ! ! I aske dabout that much higher center of gravity of the passenger on the 10R and he quickly climbed up on it and started running his mouth.

Some quiet little voice inside is saying, "Get the 12 . . . safer." But my heart keeps SCREAMIN', "THE 10, DUDE" ! ! ! ! !

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went with the 12R. At 220 you might be more comfortable on it too. Like you said you can also get them a LOT cheaper for an '02 or '03. Whatever you do I would recommend an '03 like I got but don't go older than '02. They made a LOT of changes in '02 (over 140).

The 10R will NOT bog under your weight - that's just DUMB!!! If you are worried about beating a Camaro, better get at least a 250 Ninja. ;)

I love my 12R and it is a LOT more forgiving and stable than a 10R as well as being moderately comfy for 2-up riding. If you want to ride REALLY aggressivly, I agree the 10R would be better at that but the 12 is capable, just need to get used to the size. The 10 is smaller than a 6 so it's gonna be more nimble - DUH! Either will pull the front at will (the 10 will also pull it if you don't mean it to but are trying to accelerate too quickly w/o thinkin. They are very different bikes and either would be a great choice. Like I said, if I was 10 years younger and didn't have to worry about insurance, the 10 would be what I would get but now that I'm 215 and older, I like the room of the 12. If you want to race 600s and liter bikes in the corners, the 10 is better for you. Depends on your riding style but no matter what anyone says, the 10 is not designed for a passenger - just keep that in mind. You can slap one on there but it will be VERY noticeable. Good luck with your choice!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts