Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 ZX-10r is the bike

Tried swapping the rear sprocket back to the stock 40 tooth sprocket.... Tried is the key word there.
After I got the correct size parts for the air wrench I went too it and... stripped one of the nuts. The others came off too with ease, but the one had to be cut off; come to find out it was cross threaded when I put the 42 tooth one on, my bad. **smacks self in head**

Now I'm wondering if I'm totally screwed (no pun intended) here...

This is the bolt from the sprocket I had to cut off:

This is one of the ones that is still good:

I'm assuming I need a new bolt as the next nut I put on will just strip and give me problems, correct?

Am I able to have the bad bolt taken out and a new one put in or do I need to buy a whole new sprocket piece part for it?

Lastly, am I able to ride with five of the six nuts on the sprocket, or is it strongly recommended NOT to do that?

Thanks guys and gals for any help! :D

·
Registered
522 Posts
You'll be ok just removing that stud and fitting a new one, part-number:---92004-1275

Heat the area of the hub where the stud is threaded before trying to remove it.

If you've not got any external stud-extractors then you can drill a small hole high-up through the damaged stud then wind a nut down to below this level, shove a roll, taper or split-pin through the hole and then undo the nut, stud should wind out then.

Or get some big b'stard grips on it :mrgreen:

I'd not ride wi a stud missing Sithee :wink:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it was a bad idea, and just told myself "no" shortly after posting. Never hurts to ask, lol.
I did however get a replacement unit on order while I find someone in the area to do the work I need. Got a whole new assembly with nuts and sprockets on auction for 32.99.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts