Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone know what the little tube tab is for on the LH side of the ZX1100A2 frame as highlighted on attached diagram?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Hard to tell the shape of that tab from that drawing but normally there is a clutch cable guide in that approximate location on many different motorcycles.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Take photos with your cell phone and then use the paper clip icon or the camera icon in the bottom bar of your message composition window to post them.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
It's probably for an in-frame cable lock system. There's a plug for capping the port if the security cable isn't installed >> the plug is still available at the dealer.
See battery case diagram >> plug = 92066-1077.

ps: on some models, if the cable is installed, it can't be removed & the frame has to be cut to get it out. Also, the port allows water inside the frame which leads to corrosion.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
I think you nailed it Martin! I have never seen one of these anti-theft devices. Very cool.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Some pics. note: the cable port is at the rear of the frame on some models.
#1). Barbed end that prevents the cable from sliding out of the frame.

#2). Frame was cut to remove the cable. from another forum. not mine.

#3). NOS cable locks come up for sale on EB from time to time.
personally, not recommended, but that's just me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for rapid feedback. Bike is not here to photograph but I do have the promo poster so have attached photo from that. The short tubular tab is welded to the frame down tube at an angle, it is hollow but no internal thread and has rubber bung in the end.
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wood Tread Bumper

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sent the above before seeing Martin's post. Thanks all for the comments and great info on the security cables - had forgotten about these. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
OMG, who would do this to a frame? Why not just cut the cable short and let the other piece stay inside the frame?

Hand tool Wood Metalworking hand tool Bicycle part Hardwood

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Maybe he cut it so the frame could be sure to dry out? just guessing. or maybe he just started attacking the problem without thinking. ha ha. I found an old comment of mine about water probably getting inside the frame & someone said that a rotted out bottom frame rail is common, leading to failure of the side stand mount. a crumbled frame there would be a bummer.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Yes, who knows why they did that, but for me if water ingress was a problem, I would find the low spot in the frame and drill a small drain hole that would let water out while I attempted to seal up wherever the water was getting in.
But to each, their own...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts