Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 ZX12R that sat for about 3 months being repaired. Now it will not start. Turns over and sputters a little. Drained all the old gas out.I tried to change the plugs but this seems almost impossible without dropping the motor. Please help with any suggestions on getting it started.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ZX12R wont start

Yes I can smell fuel and I can hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a smilar problem with my bike and it truned out to be the plugs. You could just check them to be safe, then check the coils to see if you are getting any spark.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Have you tried to bump start it? I had a problem a few weeks ago where the starter was engaging and it was getting fuel, but wouldn't start. I bump started the bike and it ran fine. It turned out to be my battery. It had enough juice to turn the starter, but it ddin't have enough to provide the proper RPM's to start the engine. I got a new battery and all is well. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help

Thanks for your help guys, it did turn out to be the plugs.
It is very difficult to remove and replace them but it can be done using the tool in the kit provided for the bike. One thing I did discover is that you cannot start this bike, or any other I suppose, rev it up then shut it off. This fouls the plugs almost immediately. If you have to start it over the cold season let it run till the fans come on then shut it off if you are not able to ride it for a while. Also dont trust your radiator fans to keep it cool while idling. If you have a portable fan sit it in front while the bikes heats up. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts