Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a second hand zx2r ninja, but unfortunately the speed and the rev meter do not respond at all. So could anyone suggest a way of fixing them or tell me the price of a set of new meters?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Does the odometer work? If it doesn't, it's pretty likely that your speedometer cable is either broken, or has unscrewed itself from the back of the gauge. A new cable is a lot cheaper than a new gauge set. If the cable is just unscrewed, put a drop of lock-tite on it when you put it back on. That will keep it from vibrating loose again.

I've never taken a good look at the innards of my gauges, but I'd bet that the speedometer is mechanical, and the tachometer is electrical. If that's the case, it's pretty unlikely that they both failed at the same time.

If my tachometer didn't work, I think I wouldn't worry about it. It's not really necessary.

If you really want new gauges, the place to look is ebay. Plenty of people wreck their bikes and part them out.
Curt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just checked... All the meters do not work (odometer,speed,temp..) and the tachometer only works up to 2000 rpm. Now i'm planning to take the fairing off and inspect the cable as you've suggested.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Royabc,

I have the same problem with my tach...only goes up to 2000. If you find out the reason PLEASE post.

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
456 Posts
I already gave my two cents on the speedometer/odometer. As for the tach and temp gauge, possibly a fuse is blown. Or possibly the connector on the gauges is not pressed in all the way to make contact. Do the meter lights work? I'm not sure which fuse those circuits are on, but if they share the same circuit, I'd sure look for a blown fuse. Someone else may chip in with some other ideas.

As for the tach that only goes up to 2000, you've got me stumped. Maybe something is physically blocking the gauge. Take a look at the two screws right by the needle. Is one of those not screwed down all the way?
Curt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The speedo was fixed(but the needle still shakes up and down a little)by changing a second hand cable. And the temp gauge is working well now.
The tacho's light is working, but rev up to only 3000-4000 rpm. I've sent it to an instrument shop fix the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts