Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a ZX6 engine to fit my hovercraft I now have it mounted in a frame but am having surging problems it starts fine but wil not open up without spitting back big time after running for a few seconds the rpm surges up and down for about 10 secs then it will die.If you blip the throttle the second it starts it will intantly go to 6k+ but imediately the rev counter drops to zero and it stops but will start again instantly. The engine number starts FE but I am told by the local kwaka agent it is prob a model G all I know is the ignitor box has only 2 square plugs on it and the generator casing is not ribbed. the rectifier also just has one plug. I am using the electric pump and the main airbox is fitted. The engine has stood awhile and when we first started it all seemed ok for about 30 secs it then stopped and it has been agro ever since.
Please can somebody help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know if I can help, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth!!

Are you running a fuel filter? Is it clean/new?
Is there a smooth action on your carbies?
Have you cleaned the carbies?
If you haven't done the above, give them a go.

Please let us know how you go with this problem.
If possible post a pic of your hovercraft.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
MAYBE???

Have you checked the airfilter box, and the filter is clean and all? also...are you running any type of muffler for back pressure...just curious??? I know that mud dobbers (bees that build nests of mud and fill them with spiders for their yourng to have nutrion when they....anyway..I had a big mess that was completely filling up my airbreather tube to my carb on my truck...water, dust, leaves anything can really mess with the filter...and trying to run without one to get into town...it was so lean that it didn't want to run right...Let us know...might even try the proceedure in the evening and see if there is any tesla action...or arching that could only be seen in the dark of night, or early evening...LET US KNOW!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks the carbs are nice and smooth but I have not stripped them yet all the filters are new and I have tried running it in the dark and can see no sparks running around. The engine has stood awhile and I have been advised the plugs could need changing I removed them last night and found them wet so will get a new set today. I have checked the voltage on the coils and that stays constant all the while its almost as if there is a timer in circut as when you start it she runs for approx 5 secs then stops and repeats this each time you start it. I have a carbon end can.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am not familiar at all with this engine but does it use any type of vacuum? if it does check out the vacuum system. A riding partner of mine was having simular problems and it turned out to be a vacuum leak

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that yes the carbs have vacuum operated dashpots but the airbox has new seals and all pipes are on it has been sugested it could be the ignitor but I have good sparks although they say the mapping could be screwed up what do you think as they are not cheap to play with.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Heated

Can you try running the craft indoors where it is heated? We just had a carb icing problem last week...on the forum...sounds the same...IF it runs indoors just fine then it has to be carb icing. IF not lube the cables up real good on both the throttle cables and the choke cable. Are you using the choke at all? are you taking it off in time to keep it from flooding? new plugs, yes...If yu can open hte petcock and drain plug and let some fuel run out of the carb...then remove the other drain plug and open the petcock again to ensure that fuel is getting to the carbs one by one...eliminating flooding, and bad fuel/no fuel...warm the engine with a trouble light, careful not to let fuel fumes where the light might set the fumes off. Please let us know what you found....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, Thanks for the help so far the engine is sitting on the bench at present and we can now get the engine to rev but on the temp gauge it will not rev untill there are 3 black bars showing without spitting back is this norm ?. If at this stage we then stop the engine for 30 secs and then restart it will backfire untill it has run for approx 30 secs then it will run clean again we almost wonder if there is a connection between the temp gauge and the ignighter that says untill the engine has warmed up it can not open up ,could this be the case. The carbs have been totaly stripped,there is plenty of fuel ,new plugs etc. We seem to be getting there but so slowly. It needs no chocke to start and there are no throttle cables to give a prob we are operating it straight on the end of the throttle spindle at present. It will now sit and tick over a treat which it would not do before. The slow running screws are out three and a quarter turns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts