Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just a couple of simple ones here, as I dont have the manual.

At the back of the bike, behind the plastics, just under the passengers grab-rail on the right-rear of the bike, is a container... Now, this, I assume was the radiator resevoir... as in, you put 50-50 Anti-freeze/coolant and water. However, I have taken it off last night, to clean it out ( its got loads of crud in it ) and its got some kind of oil in it???

Now, I may be wrong here, but whatever is in it, might still be some kind of coolant, but it smells like some thin oil, it also feels like more of a lubricant than coolant, so can anyone verify what I should use in this?

I have left whats in it alone cos its been there long enough, so any dammage will already be done if you see what I mean!

Ok, question No.2

My bike has a major issue in that it often resorts to firing on 3 carbs.

Now, I have pinned this down to simply the vacuum pipework in desperate need of replacing. How this one is doing its buisiness, is ( from the left to the right ) Carb 1 + 2 are piped up to the fuel tap, Carbs 3+4 are blocked off.

Carbs 1+2 have a "T" peice in there.

Now, can I simply block off Carb 1 or 2 and just have the single pipe going up to the tap?

I an unsure to this, as I have had it on some bikes, where you have just the one pipe and its ok, and on others, it does not push enough air, or even when there are 2 carbs connected, the air flow gets cocked up between the 2, so how does the ZZR6 prefer it?

Not major issues, but I would like to know from a ZZR owner really.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Coolant

This question about the coolant has been on here but it was months ago...and yes it was coolant. I was concerned and followed it through all of the responses, because something of this importantance is nothing to be ignoring. I was tossed about the decision between the ZX and ZZR...with the dead weight being the major concern it left out any consideration for the ZZR. IF I could get a ZZR-250, in the US of A. then I would. Seems it already has the aluminum frame, 17" tires and rims...nicer look...I guess that Kawasaki HAS to sell them somewhere...Don't know why we can't have them. The EX250/Ninja250R, is outdated. Still they are the only "Sportbike 250" offered here right now. I'm sorry about not knowing about the Tubes. I'd be draining the carb bowls through some fine coffee filter or something to see if you have something in the one carb that shouldn't be there...and a compression check on all of the cylinders...A valve out of adjustment...a carb not in sync with the others...you don't want to let the problem go to long...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dirt in the carbs was one thought yes, and I did pop them out and have a look, but they are lovely and clean... This was some time ago I did it.

I have now replaced the pipes with new, and I am using the vaccuum pipe from both carb 1+2 again, and its running fine!

One other thing that has yet again, pulled it off the road however...

The starter wont start it.

I have run a few tests here and there, and although I am no good at electrics, I am putting it down to the soledoid. Not 100% how to test this, but everything else checks out ok!

I have asked a local geezer who know a thing or two about bike electrics about it, and he drew me a diagram, and told me what to look for, and I have gone through this, and I am sure I am right?

Anyway, he is looking at it on wednesday for me.

Yet more spending on it... I am now bored of it all cos the front tyre is nearly bald!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
starter

IF it is turning over the engine then I would suspect a major drain in current would drain the amount of power needed for a strong spark. If you have a spare battery swap it out to see...also try a new set of spark plugs. I had carbon up inside the insulator and couldn't get it out. I put in new plugs and it runs great now. Next is a carb overhaul for the bike, running rich has caused enough problems with carbon already. I soaked the plugs in white vinegar overnight, airhosed them out and still couldn't get them to work...I used a diaper pin to get deep into the plug and sure enough it was carbon still in the plug. Maybe, you can tough out the front tire..just be careful with what little rubber you still have in contact with on the road.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I mean the starter is DEAD... Nothing.

When I press the start button, there is nothign at all.

Thinking it could be the kill switch, the start button, or ignition switch even, and then a broken wire along the lines somewhere?

It starts perfectly and instantly with a bump now, the running of it was down to the cables needing replacing. That happened before, and all I did was repair, so now I have renewed.

Plugs are fairly new, the carbs are balanced and setup right, I know this is right, cos although I know bugger-all, one thing I do know about, is carbs.

One thing I dont know about is bike electronics, so you acn imagine the hell I had when my guzzi gave me hell on wet days!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts