Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I hate to ask a question in my first ever post here BUT...
I picked up an 88 600 ninja for $300 a couple weeks ago. Got some fork issues worked out, and now am moving onto the carbs. It does run, but it sat for a quite a while and the tank is pretty rusty so I'm sure there's some gunk in there..
Anyways, I've got the clymer manual which tells me to "remove the airbox housing bolts and lift it from the frame" but there is no way that airbox is ganna fit through the frame, looks like it needs to come out after the carbs are out. I've loosened all the hoses and what not, tried tugging on the carbs (pulling away from the engine) but I think the hoses that connect to the airbox are in the way. I'm sure I could just rip the hoses out, but I'd rather not do much damage to them as I won't have money for k&n pods for a month or so.
I've been banging my head against the wall for a couple days now trying to get these f-ing carbs out and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Joren

·
Registered
522 Posts
I feel your pain, it can feel impossible but it's not.

If the carb inlet-manifold clamps are loose, airbox-rubber springs rolled back and the airbox mounts are free then just pull the carbs straight back towards the airbox.

They will fight you if they've hardly ever or never been out but keep at it, wiggling the bank of carbs up and down a bit whilst pulling.

Once they come free of the cylinder-head then twist up and pull from airbox-rubbers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man, I was eventually able to get it out last night with much more struggling.. I'm deff. dreading putting it back in, and this is all one part of why I want pods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts