Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here and I need help.

I just picked up a 94 ZX600c, it broke down on the original owner 8 years ago on the freeway. He took it home and threw a blacket over it. It is in great shape. I fired it up and it sounds like there is a jar of marble in there.

What are the first things to do with this. I am going to pull the plugs and check compression tonight when I get home.
I pulled the clutch cover, all appears ok in there. I pulled the lower oil pan and it was clean, the oil did smell alot like gas though.

Any help you guys can offer is appreciated!
The plastics are in almost perfect shape but they are off on the pic.

·
Norfolk,England
240 Posts
Quote "the oil did smell alot like gas though."

after all these years,chances are the fuel tank has leaked petrol into the sump and diluted the oil.
Check ther level window and I guess it will be over full.

I would not run the engine again until you have drained the oil and changed the filter.
As for the noise, could be a few things, not sure from this distance.

Edit, just realised you have dropped the sump already ! oops.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you have high miles, and its a clacking noise from the back of the engine, it could be the cam chain tensioner is worn out. Mine makes that noise, but still rides fine. You can try tightening it, but if its tightened all the way and still makes noise, that means its worn out completely and the only way to replace it is to tear down the engine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
New guy here and I need help.

I just picked up a 94 ZX600c, it broke down on the original owner 8 years ago on the freeway. He took it home and threw a blacket over it. It is in great shape. I fired it up and it sounds like there is a jar of marble in there.

What are the first things to do with this. I am going to pull the plugs and check compression tonight when I get home.
I pulled the clutch cover, all appears ok in there. I pulled the lower oil pan and it was clean, the oil did smell alot like gas though.

Any help you guys can offer is appreciated!
The plastics are in almost perfect shape but they are off on the pic.

do you think you could fit one more toy into that shop?:eek:

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you have high miles, and its a clacking noise from the back of the engine, it could be the cam chain tensioner is worn out. Mine makes that noise, but still rides fine. You can try tightening it, but if its tightened all the way and still makes noise, that means its worn out completely and the only way to replace it is to tear down the engine.
The tensioners are "automatic" and known for failing. Listen to the engine to see if the noise is coming from the cam drive area, which should be on the left side of the ZX6. If the noise is there and you want a fix, I have one, go to a manual tensioner. I make them for Kaws for about half what anyone else does. I emailed the site sponsor about ads, but got no reply, so I will post what I offer. I've done a ZX6 tensioner for an 88 ZX6 in New York, a Concours and RMz450 in Ohio, a Z7S in California, about 15 Zephyrs in several countries, along with about 25 KLX650 tensioners. I do them for $30 plus shipping. It will take away cam chain noise that is caused by the stock tensioner allowing it's plunger to be forced in and out. Which is what happened on both of my Kaws and the reason I ended up making them.

You do not need to tear down an engine to replace the tensioner, it is an external bolt on. You only need a tear down if the top end is damaged or if the cam chain is located in the center of the engine. I think you can replace the left side mounted chains without a major tear down. Replacing the tensioner is probably the least expensive first step.

Here's a shot of one on the KLX:

Email me if you're interested. I can send you a copy of the installation instructions and several testimonials including a couple of forum posts at the Zephyr-Zone. The guy with the Concours was told by the dealer, that his engine was an old design and that was just the way it was. He got a tensioner one Sunday and called me Monday to tell me the noise was gone and to thank me for the help. He also told me I could make the thru bolt about an inch shorter - nice to get some feed back.

I hate to hear of people trashing engines by listening to the guys who say "the noise is normal" or "Kaw engines are noisy". That's what I was told both with the KLX (I listened to them and ended up having the cam chains replaced at 15,000 miles afte TWO tensioners crapped out and I modified the stock one) and the Zephyr (I made my first one for that bike and it took the hornet's nest buzz away). In this case Normal isn't right. Take care of it whether you buy a tensioner from me or from another source. Unless you just want to spend a few hundred on a top end rebuild when the valves get the chance to become physically acquainted with the pistons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.