Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have a problem with my ZX6R 1997 , firstly I keep smelling petrol but no leak seen, I start the bike from cold on choke starts first time warm up take it off choke fine, if I go for ride its ok, but if I stop it for more than a minute it will not restart, apart from bump start ,if I wait till next day I can start it again fine on choke again perfectly, recently when I have got the bike warmed up in my garage it starts back firing when revving it up ie putting out small flame out exhaust, does anyone think the carbs need service or needles ,jets or sticking floats can anyone help please.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Off the top of my head that sounds like Valve clearances to me.
So.
How many Miles has she done ?
Service history ?
Have you had it long ?
Has any work been carried our recently ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for chat, its only done 13,500 miles, I have serviced it oil ,plugs ,filters etc but don't know any other history, have not had it long , its been stood for 9 months, don't get any smoke out exhaust.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
That Model has clearances checked/adjusted every 8k so if they were not checked then it could be the issue, Doubtful it's a sticky valve only sitting 9 months and because it's sat that long I would pull the carbs and give them a service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That Model has clearances checked/adjusted every 8k so if they were not checked then it could be the issue, Doubtful it's a sticky valve only sitting 9 months and because it's sat that long I would pull the carbs and give them a service.
Thanks for that info I will look at carbs first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have fitted bottom end carb kit but not jets, where can I get top end carb kit seems like they don't make them anymore, can ant one help.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
What concerns me here is the Pilot jets, They have a hole through the center so small they block up very easily with Fuel residue from standing.
You said no Jets, I assume you mean no New ones but did you clean the Pilots ? Properly ?
The Hole is about the size of ONE strand from a wire brush so cleaning is often almost impossible leading to replacements.
What do you need top end as there's only the Diaphragms that I can think of that would need replacing and only if one is split.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what about wear on the needle? where can I get new pilot jets, Kawasaki have stopped making some parts now, thanks for reply.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The smell of fuel is likely from leaking needle valve or incorrect float height. Something to check when you have your carbs apart.

+1 on pilot jets. Hard to clean, but a long soak in carb cleaner and compressed air can unclog them. A very fine strand of copper wire can help sometimes. Do NOT use a drill or anything hard as this will damage the jets.
If all else fails you can try an ultrasonic cleaning or new jets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got off the phone from cradley Kawasaki two guys in there both said get valve clearance checked because they tighten up ,every 7000 miles. thanks for reply, Rich.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts