Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone kow how wide I can go with the tires on my 86 Ninja? The stock size is so lame looking, and handles like crap. Any help would be appreciated :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
on a 600, I wouldn't go any bigger then a 180.. Anything larger then that will be heavy and throw off your RWHP and handling.. Just my $.02

BigTirez said:
Does anyone kow how wide I can go with the tires on my 86 Ninja? The stock size is so lame looking, and handles like crap. Any help would be appreciated :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have always been told to never go over or under 10 on tire size, if it came with a 140 you could safely use a 130, 140, or 150. If you go to big you take a chance at tire roll. During a hard cornering situation the tire being wider than the rim will roll toward the outside of the turn causing the weight to shift and take you of balance.
I know what your talking about I wish I could go to a wider tire or even a more common tire size. Hard to find a shop I can just walk into and have a selection of tires.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
IT's not the size...

Anything wider and you are pinching the tire and creating havoc for the tire to handle on the rim...squeezing to much on is a bad thing...instead, go with a softer compound! Sure tehy may wear out faster, but the grip is awesome! great mileage is a hard rubber tire, great grip like for racing is a really soft tire like they use in slicks...almost like gum erasers. you could go narrower even and probably get a better grip...but stay withthe recommended tire size and get a GRIP! Look at Michellin, Dunlop, Pirelli...go to a discount house look at their tires on the web and then start looking at the companies themselves..tires DO have a shelf life!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
86 NINJA WHAT???

Please fill in your PROFILE and perhaps either in you signature or in your profile put in your bike size...it would also be helpful in you r profile to know where you live..to send you i the right direction for things, and have forum people assist you in getting a good-great deal because they know someone....like in my case an insurance man...came to my aid!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ZX-2R, Thanks for the info, I am running A Dunlop 130/80B16 now but it is really hard. So, I guess I will go with something like a Metzler 140/90HB-16.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TIRE/RIM WIDTH

Check with the tire dealer first on what size tire that you should be putting on the rear of your bike. IT SEEMS as if Kawasaki has left the rim sizes untouched on the 16" wheels and they are spot on for 100/80 and 120/80, front and rear respectfully. The stock tires (Dunlop 630's) are rather slick/hard and they are okay for basic riding, but the Pirelli MT75 100/90 and 130/90 set up as well as the new Pirelli Sport Demon 100/90 and 130/90, or even consider the Dunlop GT501 110/90 and 130/90...I'd look before I jumped into squeexing to wide a tire on the narrow wheel. Pinching the tire causes wierd handling...Personally I received a letter from METZLER telling me that the ME330/550,
Front 110/90-16 59V TL ME330 BAR/32PSI.
Rear 130/90-16 67V TL ME550 BAR/36PSI, was their recommendation in tire, size and air pressure. I'm waiting to see all the tires at one time...perhaps I should first try to find the hardness (I forgot what this number is called) or density of each of these tires are first. I don't care about the price as much as the grip. The tires are cheaper than dropping the bike even once. I hope this helps...I's sure hate to see you put a wrong tire size on and end up ruining a bike, or worse yet hurting yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts