Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all

just to get an advice. I owned a zx636 2003 and i would like to change the exhaust system (which yoshimura TRS titanium)

Q1. do i need to change the full system or slip on or half system will do?

Q2. do i need to add the power commander for the fuel system?

Q3. If i install half/slip on... do i need to add the power commander as well?

your advice is needed....

average temp/environment : 28~40'c, wet/dry

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
a full system is gonna need a power commander to play with INJECTION and get it correct. a dyno would be the best way to set this up.

a slip-on would run ok without the power commander but it will more than likely have a pop/backfire on deceleration. (lean mixture)

full system = $$$$$,better sound,more power,looks :wink:

slip on = $$,better sound,looks

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Are you trying to gain in some performance?

If so, you will gain the most by putting a full system in place with a power commander. You will need to have your bike mapped out with a Dyno tuner, but it will be well worth having a custom map for your bike.

If you just want a throatier sound - exhaust note then just go with the slip ons.(looks and sound).

What the power commander will do will give you a different map to optimize your performance with your bike. It tells the bike when to fire ignition and therefore gain in performance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just want to get the sound and the looks... but at the same time if I did not put the power commander, do it distrupt the engine once I change the exhaust?

I targeting to put slip on only without the power commander but my fear is.. does it will distrupt the engine? (pop/backfire) ????

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
LEAN

Yes if you change the muffler you will get the backfire...as you are running leaner air/fuel in...exhaust out...you make the exhaust more efficient you have the same gas then you have a leaner misture...so when you decelerate or crack the throttle at a light it may hesitate and may pop/backfire when coasting down to stop. IF you have a dyno shop then you can do the job properly...and it will work right for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts