Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! can someone please tell me, what year zx6r will do 70mph in first. Will something as early as a 2001 do this, my 1997 screamed at 30mph. I want good power in a 600.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Even the earliest ZX6r models will do over 150mph, they’re plenty fast enough. Wanting to be able to do 70mph in first gear is a bit stupid in my opinion. That would mean first gear is really too high and you’d need to do a lot of clutch slipping on take off.

There’s five other gears in the box, just use them as intended and you won’t find any lacking in performance.

The engines redline at 14,000rpm plus so they’re going to scream a bit, it’s the way they make their power. If you feel the revs are too high for you either change up a gear or if it really bothers you, go one or two less teeth on the rear or one higher on the front.

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
If memory serves, the H2 would do over 60 mph in first gear, but I don't know if the ZX6r or any recent models can do that also. To get the lowest 0-60 times its best if you don't have to shift. I think that is where Wheellywillz is coming from.

·
Registered
273 Posts
To get the lowest 0-60 times its best if you don't have to shift. I think that is where Wheellywillz is coming from.
Not necessarily; if the engine is not poweful/torquey enough to pull a high enough first gear to get to 60mph then it will be quicker to shift gears than try to use too high a gear ratio.

If he doesn’t want to change gear then he can always try launching in second gear and see whether that’s quicker!

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
The much older H2 750 triple that I first referenced had a 0-60 MPH time of around 5 seconds. Big improvement over the years.

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
As you pointed out it all depends on HP/Torque curves. The 1972 H2 triple had only 74 HP and could hit 60 MPH in first gear. But I agree with your point that the ability to do that is not necessarily that fastest way to get to 60. Shifting takes time and slows you down, but so does slipping the clutch if the gearing is too tall.

Back in 1972 though, I don't think there was anything in our town that could touch the 0-60 time of the H2 left in first gear. It was a beast.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As you pointed out it all depends on HP/Torque curves. The 1972 H2 triple had only 74 HP and could hit 60 MPH in first gear. But I agree with your point that the ability to do that is not necessarily that fastest way to get to 60. Shifting takes time and slows you down, but so does slipping the clutch if the gearing is too tall.

Back in 1972 though, I don't think there was anything in our town that could touch the 0-60 time of the H2 left in first gear. It was a beast.
A standard H2 from 72 would not hit 60mph in first gear mate. Not even close. 2nd gear yes.

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
Hmmmm, digging into this now I see you are correct MichaelZZR.

My bad. Memory from so many years ago is faulty or my buddy who owned an H2 triple was just pulling my leg. I was so sure of that fact, I don't know where it came from.

Based on performance curves it looks like first gear tops out at about 46 MPH.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hmmmm, digging into this now I see you are correct MichaelZZR.

My bad. Memory from so many years ago is faulty or my buddy who owned an H2 triple was just pulling my leg. I was so sure of that fact, I don't know where it came from.

Based on performance curves it looks like first gear tops out at about 46 MPH.
All been there mate. I think the thing that sticks in my mind about those early triples was the wicked power band that made riding them so addictive compared to anything else on the road at the time. Small, poor quality tyres, dodgy suspension, frames that flexed and no speed camera's. Riding heaven. Those were the days. (Wildly optimistic speedometers were also good for pub bragging. Ha! Ha!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts