Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals....been a long time. Anyway, I'm completely enjoying my '07 Ninja, but I am at a crossroads of sorts and would like some input from you all.

In order for me to buy my Ninja, I had to sell my '99 Drifter 1500 AND an older Ninja. By doing so, I paid cash for the new bike; I thought that was wise thinking at the time.

Recently, I took a ride on a cruiser during a demo day, and realized how much I missed the relaxing and upright ride of the cruiser, but didn't think too much of it. Well, I am now thinking that it would be great if I could have a little of both worlds in one bike. That's where my thoughts are directed towards the Yamaha Warrior. It's an awesome performance cruiser with lots of sport bike spirit. Also with a 1700 cc displacement, I know it wouldn't be short on power either.

I am looking at a few used Warriors in my area, and have found an '07 with about 10K miles on it for about $7,000 at a dealership about 70 miles away from my home. I called them up today and asked if there was any chance of "wiggle room" and the floor mgr said, "yes". Im supposed to go look at the bike on Saturday as they will be closed on the 1st.

Here is my question to you all. It's actually a multi-part question.
1. Should I buy the used Warrior for a fair price to satisfy my desire for a change in riding experience.

2. If I decide to buy the Warrior, should I keep the Ninja, or sell it in order to recoup some of my costs on the new purchase. Keep it and have 2 bikes, or sell it and have only ONE bike to ride, but save on costs.

3. Should I just leave this issue alone and continue to enjoy the sport bike experience of the awesome Ninja that I already have.

Just let me know what you think. I'm curious what other's have to say about this topic. I will try to attach stock pictures of each machine.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
personally ill stop riding before i go cruiser ....... but you do what makes ya happy.. if you can swing two bikes money wise then go that route.. if you can only have one then you have to think about what kind of riding you do.... slow/mellow or rip snorting/destroying twisties......... one is for slow/mellow and the other is for twisties......
good luck w/ your decision
ps. if i had to choise a cruiser the WARRIOR would be my choice...... its the coolest looking one out there..(othe than that stupid muffler the size of a submarine)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Only you can answer that question... I'm with Q (above). I'll always ride a sport bike. It may not be as comfortable as a cruiser for really long rides, but nothing can beat the power and performance of a supersport. It all depends on what kind of riding you do, too. Most of mine are 100-200 miles and full of twisties. Not too long.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Invest in an old KZ1000 :wink: Heres my take and this is from a 51yr old grandfather.:wink: I restored that bike in the avatar, and I ride it several hundred miles at a time in complete comfort. When a v-twin rolls up and thinks hes got something for the old girl, I break his heart and leave him in my dust green with envy! The old KZs are still the epitome of street bikes as they possess the best of both worlds! Ill have a "cruiser" soon, but it will a KZ1000 police bike chopped, raked, lowered and bagged so when you roll on the throttle, no v-twin can roll with it. As for my ST, that thing leaves the 600 Ninjas through 3rd gear, not bad for a 30yr old muscle bike that eats interstate miles in vintage style. If given the choice to drive a 69 428 Cobra Jet Mach-1 to Florida and back or an 09 Cadillac Deville, Id go with the Mustang every time! Best of both worlds plus some! :wink: I wouldnt trade my bike for no two Harleys or any other bikes and thats the truth!

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
I wouldnt trade my bike for no two Harleys or any other bikes and thats the truth!
actually i would cause then i could sell the POS HARDLEYS and buy my zrx again and add even better stuff to make it even faster/handle better/etc... :biggrin: and still have money left over :p

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Having ridden sportbikes and cruisers (uncluding a Mean Streak, possiblt the best handling cruiser ever made....) I think that if you make a 100% swap from a sport type bike to a cruiser you will likely miss the handling traits that make those bikes such an enjoyment.

While I can't say I'd never own a cruiser again (if the pocketbook agreed, I'd likely still have the V2K), I'd never be without a sportier type bike again.

But hey, that's just me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, thanks for your input. I took a look at the Warrior yesterday, and I am thinking of proceeding with the purchase. There are a few details that I need to work out first, but I may just go ahead with the deal.
I called up the insurance company to get a rate on the Warrior, and what I found out REALLY impacted me about this decision. As you ALL know, it's a LOT more expensive to insure a super sport bike like the Ninja, and it only takes a fraction of that to insure the Warrior. A friend advised me when I mentioned selling the Ninja, that I should hold on to BOTH bikes for a while until I am absolutely sure that I can live with only one. My bank account says "sell the bike that is more expensive to insure". I"m still on the fence about that.
Anyway, I appreciate all the input you have given. My only regret if I proceed with the Warrior ANd sell the Ninja, is that I will be stepping away from the Kawasaki brand. I have ALWAYS had a Kawasaki in the stable, so this would be a significant move.
Wish me luck, and thanks again.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
I was in the same dilemma a few years ago. I test rode a Meanie and fell in love, but wasn't sure if I should use the 10 as a partial trade in. Looking back, I'm glad I kept the sportbike in the stable.

Like my Meanie, the Warrior isn't your traditional cruiser platform. It's designed with a sporting rider in mind. You can throw it into twisties pretty good (for what it is) and have a nice, spirited ride. But it's still missing that razor-edge crispness of a sportbike.

It's nice to be able to go down to the garage and pick which bike suits my mood that morning. Or have a choice, based on who I'm riding with, where I'm going, how long I'll be gone, or a host of other factors. So I say, even if you buy the Warrior, keep the Ninja.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
keep the ninja nd get the cruiser....well i have one of each and will neveer go baclk to a single bike, i like to choose how i feel to ride that day

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
keep the ninja nd get the cruiser....well i have one of each and will neveer go baclk to a single bike, i like to choose how i feel to ride that day
exactly why i ride a zrx...... handles the street duties PERFECTLY FINE and can cruise for 100's of miles in comfort...... :biggrin: oh and cheap insurance and i dont have to "DECIDE" about anything... just get on and ride...

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Actually, I think you can answer your own question quite easily:

If you have the funds (I would assume you do, otherwise there wouldn't be a question), buy the Warrior in addition to the 6r. Keep both around for a few months, then take stock in how you are riding each. If you find you no longer enjoy riding the 6r, sell it outright then (you'll likely get quite a bit more than trade in). If you enjoy both, keep both.

Personally, I'll always have a sport-oriented bike in my stable now. But I'd love to have a cruiser to go with it (no funds :frown: ).

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Does the warrior have mid or forward pegs?
There kinda like the Meanie. Somewhere between mid and forward. A little stretched, but still centralized enough to use them as actual steering inputs with your feet. Any further forward, and you would lose much of the sporting feel of the bike.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
only thingwith the warrior is you NEED to DITCH the huge trash can on the exhaust

1 - 16 of 16 Posts