Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2007 Vulcan 900 Classic
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some info and opinions. I'm 61 and been riding for 40 years off and on. Been riding a vulcan 900 for the last 3 years. I've never had a sport bike and would like to get one in the future. I need to know the advantages of one over the other( comfort, handling,etc).

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
It really depends on the style of riding you want to do, doesn't it?

Personally, I love my ZX14...hands down the best motorbike I have ever owned. It is very comfortable (more so than my old cruiser), is game to both tour and "have fun" with, has a ton of low down torque for cruising around, and has very manageable power if you have the common sense and smarts to respect it.

Again, it really depends if you are looking to carve corners in the mountains for an hour or two, or you want to push farther across the map and have a ton of fun doing it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
yeah i thought the r's were usually the more track oriented bikes. i have a 1997 ninja 600 but the not the sportier zx6r model and i like the fact its easy to manuver, qwik, and comfortable considering im 6'1''. has a more upright position than my buddys brand new zx6r model. I like it i feel cooped up on the r models. just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The ZX-6R and ZX-10R are race/track bikes. Not as comfortable as the ZX-14, but they are not designed to be either. The ZX-6R has more than enough power and is also lot cheaper on insurance. In my opinion, there's no reason to buy a ZX-10 unless you are racing it or doing a lot of (serious) track days. The ZX-14 is more powerfull, but when are you going to use it? It's literally a drag bike with headlights. It is a lot more comfortable though than the other two bikes. If you want a comfortable, everyday bike, and you don't ride a lot of twisties, go with the ZX-14. I know, the ZX-14 guys are going to say that it's great in the corners, but in reality, the ZX-6R is the best bike in the corners. It's lightweight, easy to throw around, and it's faster coming out of the corners.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
ZX-14 would be best because it is the most comfortable to ride...its heavier and sturdier than the other two...IT wont out handle a 6 or a 10...but it is more handling than you would probably ever use on the street. I have had mine three years, nary a problem and love ridingit every day!!!!!!!!

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
The 14 is agile enough in corners...no, it'll NEVER beat a 6R or even a 10R...but coming from a cruiser (even a middleweight 900) the thing handles on rails. Its very stable in corners, and I've managed to turn it quick enough to make my heart jump into my throat. :eek: It is comfortable (much more so than the 6R or 10R), and while you'll never need all of its power...the great thing is you don't have to push the bike to have fun. The bike will be running at 40% but still leaving you with the biggest sheet eating grin you've ever had. Its the perfect street bike as far as I'm concerned (though I'm heavily biased :biggrin: ).

Anyway, coming from a 900, I can give you a little perspective:

Right after buying the '14:
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/main-lobby/110973-new-bike.html

After 4000 miles on it:
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-streetbikes-sportbikes/116572-just-passed-4000-miles-today-my-zx-14-a.html

I'm over 11500 miles now...planning to put a LOT more on :biggrin:

·
2007 Vulcan 900 Classic
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. It looks like the ZX14 will be a welcome addition to my 900. I'm not looking to have a track bike, but I would like to have something with a bit more power for those times when I just want to be different.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
OK, hate to throw a monkey-wrench in things, but have you looked at the Honda VFR 800?

Very sporty, while maintaining the comfort of of a sport tourer. Shorter and lighter than the ZX-14, and while it doesn't have the mind-boggling power of the big Ninja, you'll never be at a loss for power. Might be something to consider.

I really like the 14, though. No, it's not really a track bike, but it's a great mount for sport-touring, while still providing plenty of fun in the twisties.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
OK, hate to throw a monkey-wrench in things, but have you looked at the Honda VFR 800?

Very sporty, while maintaining the comfort of of a sport tourer. Shorter and lighter than the ZX-14, and while it doesn't have the mind-boggling power of the big Ninja, you'll never be at a loss for power. Might be something to consider.

I really like the 14, though. No, it's not really a track bike, but it's a great mount for sport-touring, while still providing plenty of fun in the twisties.
It just so happens we have one of each in our garage. :-D My wife loves her VFR800...(more than me I think...) It handles very well, surpisingly well in fact, and has great power and an awesome torque/powerband range.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
It just so happens we have one of each in our garage. :-D My wife loves her VFR800...(more than me I think...) It handles very well, surpisingly well in fact, and has great power and an awesome torque/powerband range.
I'd love to have one, myself. Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to move down to one after spending so many years on a big GT bike. :tongue:

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
If you like being bent like a pretzel and riding for only a few hours at a time then go for the 6 or 10.
If you like comfort and hours of riding then go check out the 14.
It is an amazing ride. It is very fast and very comfortable.
Can be decked out to be a tourer. Can also be moded for more speed if that is your thing. Am I biased, sure, I love my 14. It is overall the best bike I have owned since it can pull double duty.

Only issue I have ever had was my side bags slide to far and rested on the exhaust and caught on fire. That was all my fault as I did not tighten down a strap.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
i alternate...depends on whats going on...v2k makes fun two up for the beach with extras

·
+2 Ring of Invisibility
137 Posts
i have done an 07 600 and an 08 10r and the smaller bike needs to be wound up more then feels squirly when it is wound up. the 10 feels a smidge more bent over but has more comfort in the throttle, like it could be wound up to 16k. but I personally don't think i was ever over 8k. had power enough to do whatever you want in the 3 to 5k range. the 10 felt more solid too. Believe it or not I wont be getting rid of my 06 650 for either. dream bike atm is 07 or newer concours 14 with or without Abs.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
:biggrin:
i have done an 07 600 and an 08 10r and the smaller bike needs to be wound up more then feels squirly when it is wound up. the 10 feels a smidge more bent over but has more comfort in the throttle, like it could be wound up to 16k. but I personally don't think i was ever over 8k. had power enough to do whatever you want in the 3 to 5k range. the 10 felt more solid too. Believe it or not I wont be getting rid of my 06 650 for either. dream bike atm is 07 or newer concours 14 with or without Abs.
That's the best part of the ZX-6R... The sound of that engine screaming, how instant the power is at that range, and how you can feel the amazing power-to-weight ratio. Other bikes may be more comfortable or have more power, but nothing is more fun than a ZX-6R in my opinion. That's why I bought one :biggrin:

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
once the div is final, gonna get a 600 track bike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts