Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 ZX7 engine stopped running yesterday. There was some minimal lose of water around the water pump. When I pulled the cover off the water pump the impellor would not move. The engine will go into and out of gear and it has spark. It feels like something in the lower end is locked up. Didn't have time to drain the oil and drop the oil pan...Where should I start my diagnosis?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
The Water Pump Impeller will only turn when the engine is running..

The Water Pump has a mechanical seal and a water seal, When the water seal decides it's had enough the pump housing has a small relief hole underneth that allows the water to escape and gives you an indication that a problem has occured and requires you attention..

~ Does the motor crank when you hit the starter button ?
~ Did she stop all of a sudden or slow down gradually then grind to a halt ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you hit the starter the engine acts like there's not enough power in the battery to crank it over. The gauge lights go dim and the fuel pump loses pressure.It gives the impression of being locked up.Let off the starter button and the lights come back on and fuel pump at full pressure...It slowed down gradually then came to a stop. Kind of locked up actually as the back end stepped out a little bit. Popped it out of gear and moved it out of the way. Water temp gauge was reading about 210 degrees.

When we took the bottom hose off the water pump later the water was still warm. However, the top hose from the engine was cool. Water pump had some rust particals & corrosion inside. Radiator had pressure as we drained it.

Did notice the oil level is a little higher than when the day started. We had to cut the oil pan and the pickup when we first started with the engine. But its run well with that cut pan for a few months.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Ummm sounds like she may have partially seized on you and the differing radiator temps tell me that your engine cooling was probably the culprit..
The gradual slowing down confirms this somewhat.

I would remove the 4 spark plugs and the Pulser cover and try turning the motor over using a spanner on the end of the crankshaft where the Pulser Reluctor is attached.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
2 threads going on the same subject..The other one describes the events with somewhat more detail :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry about the dualing posts...I was hoping it wasn't terminal because I really hate to spend money on another engine. Especially since we wanted to be the only Kawi running against the GSXRs.

We will give turning the engine over a shot...

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Having read your other post i tend to agree that your problem has probably occurred largely due to oil starvation...

Using a Motorcycle engine in any type of car application will result in some headaches one of which is Oil starvation through centrifugal forces acting on the oil in the oil pan forcing it towards the sides of the oil pan allowing the oil pump to cavitate, This might only happen momentarily but over prolonged occurrence can lead to engine damage..

When you install a bike engine in a car you really need to employ a Dry Sump setup which utilises a shallower oil pan and a separate oil pump that delivers your oil feed without compromise to the Lubrication system regardless of centrifugal forces imposed on hard cornering for example..

On the down side these systems are both costly for the enthusiast and limited to the larger sized bike engines such as the ZX12R & Suzi Busa..

You can get a custom one made for your particular engine but a one off will be Telephone numbers and way out of the average Joes paycheck..

Nova in the UK supply Dry Sump systems and can retro fit what they don't have on the shelf..

The link below will illustrate what i am talking about with a Busa System..

Hayabusa Dry Sump Kit - Hayabusa Race Engine parts Turbo Motorcycle and Performance Bike Tuning by Big CC Racing

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Green do you think sending some Miracle Oil down the cylinder walls will help break it loose? My neighbor thinks that the thermostat got closed off and caused the engine to not circulate the water.

I do have a lead on a 98 ZX7 engine.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
It can't hurt to try some.
Leave it in the cylinders for a day or so unless this stuff works quite quick, I am unfamiliar with this Miracle Oil so i don't know how long they suggest it stays in before trying to turn it over.

But you need to allow it time to soak in whatever..

Out of interest what class are you racing in ?? (cc limit)

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
You got some bottle going up against the Gixxer 750's :rolleyes:

They look like a class that we run in the UK but with car engines in, The biggens run V8 motors and are rather swift....

Jedi Racing up the road from me run some nice cars like the one in the Pic below powered by a GSXR1000 motor..

I would if your going the 636 route put your efforts into that one and maybe let the dated 7 rest in piece...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the water pump does connect with the oil pump...

Green got a digital camera for Christmas. If I can figure out how to download it, tell me what you'd like to see...I like those cars with the GSXR 1000s. Chain or driveline?

Sunday at practice before the engine quit. We were running second gear with a 15 tooth gear on the front and a 48 tooth on the rear. Which had us on the rev box half way down the straights...

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Wouldn't mind some of your car with the 7 in and the 636 chassis, Not fussed just interested in bike engined race cars :) :)

Drive Chain running to a LSD :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Green the 7 is locked up tighter than a bank vault. All we managed to do was break the timing piece bolted to the crank. We tried to bump the engine but it didn't have spark. The coils still read within range. I'm guessing the engine got hotter than 220 and we fried the pulser in the process.

Our chassis maker that we are putting the 636 in is KingChassis.com
If you click on the chassis kits ours is the 600. Scroll down on the chassis kit and you can see pictures of our chassis before it was shipped to us.

Thanks for the help. Now we decide to swap out Kawi 7s or switch to GSXR.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts