Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hows it going, would any one know is it possable to access the bottom end without dropping the engine?? as in can you take of all the breakable stuff, and turn the bike upside down, and remove the sump, to gain access to the input and output shafts???

also is the gearbox a different type in the zx9r b model to the zx9r c model???

cheers in advance

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
TBH the only thing you will achieve is a look if you drop off the oil pan.

Input & Output shafts are removable only after the engine is out and the crankcase halves have been split..

The B & C are different gearboxes..

What is your aim ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
want to whip of every thing breakable, turn the bike upside down, remove the oil pan and see what the problem is.

the symptoms are... third gear tryed killing me last night and today, opened the throttle up, bike accelerated, then no power lots of crunching then a ****in huge burst of power arse starts trying to over take the front.

today, go to overtake heavy traffic drop down to third power on, half way throw the over take, loads of crunchin no power, and me clipping both mirrors of each car the one i was over taking and the one head on!!!

it's either the 3rd gear input and output pinion's or theres a bearing gone. im going with the theory that its a bearing gone as if it was the pinions it would have given some notice, powering on in fourth seems to be getting a bit vibby/crunchy not really noisy as such more like i can feel it underneth me, 1 and 2 are smooth and slick so im thinking that its the bearing on the higher gear side???

what do you make of it???

cheers mate
tom

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I like your description as regards the Arse ends desire to beat the front home but probably wasn't much fun at the time :eek:

Both shafts have 2 bearings each, 1 at either end so all gears share the same bearings on their respective shafts, Doubtful then that it's a bearing giving you the grief.

A loss of power as you describe i would attribute more to a Selector fork being bent which is a very common occurrence in bike boxes due to the fragile nature of them.

You may also have a damaged circlip allowing the gear to move out from the selector fork position intermittently.

If any work needs to be carried out on the Box then the Motor needs to come out of the frame to allow access..Even bearing replacement as 1 bearing on each shaft has a locating ring that mates with a groove in the crankcases to keep the shafts from floating..

Get yourself a Service Manual and have a good read, If your gonna tear the motor apart it's a must have Tool :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i bought the bike with a holed piston, rebuilt the top-end, and have put a thousand miles on it since, i appreciate your input if you know of any one that has a complete engine from c model upwords give me a shout,

thanks very much for you time.

though probably not the best place to say it but i should have bought a honda lol

cheers lads

1 - 7 of 7 Posts