Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

my 98 zx9r was taken out for its first voyage after if changed the oil and plugs and air filter. after a few miles it died (it started running rough, like only on 2 cyl) it left me 4 miles from home, had to walk....... Now back in the garage. i checked for spark, fuel pump works, has fresh gas, has good compression....

The air filter i put on first was a "self oil" foam kind and i maybe put to much oil on it the oil was K&N red filter oil..... but i dont know what the would cause it to die..

If i put a little gas in the carb the bike will start for a second...

I haven't gone through the carbs yet. I have looked around for anyloose wire and such...

after sitting in storage for 6 months the bike started up right away, then i did the maintainence .

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if it starts by putting fuel in the carbs then its a carb issue. could be you blocked all the air bleeds at the throat of the carb by using to much oil.....

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Where would i find the air bleeds?
they are the little tiny holes at the bottom of the carb throats when you pull the air filter/air box off.. just take air and blow thru the holes..... then try again..
as for being a foam filter .. get some PJ1 foam oil and do it right.. was the K&N stuff out and start over. be real careful with the PJ1 cause you can over oil easy with that.. spray it on and kneed it in by hand....

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are the little tiny holes at the bottom of the carb throats when you pull the air filter/air box off.. just take air and blow thru the holes..... then try again..
as for being a foam filter .. get some PJ1 foam oil and do it right.. was the K&N stuff out and start over. be real careful with the PJ1 cause you can over oil easy with that.. spray it on and kneed it in by hand....

Ok, i will try that in the morning..... As for the filter, i just threw away the foam one with the K&N oil... and i got a new one.

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
Check to see you didn't kink the vent hose for the fuel tank. One way to check is ride until it dies and open the fuel tank. If you here it suck wind, or if it just starts running again, you most likely need to fix the vent hose routing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the vent hose in the rear of the tank, that goes down to the ground.... or is that the over flow hose? I did see fuel come out of there when i removed the tank and set it on the ground.

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
Is the vent hose in the rear of the tank, that goes down to the ground.... or is that the over flow hose? I did see fuel come out of there when i removed the tank and set it on the ground.
I don't have a ZX, but if it's like most other bikes, that's the one. If it get's blocked, the bike won't run long, especially when the tank is full.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have a ZX, but if it's like most other bikes, that's the one. If it get's blocked, the bike won't run long, especially when the tank is full.
that interesting...... the bike actually died about 2 miles after i filled the tank full....

But like i said, the hose leaked some gas when i took the tank off...... so i dont think it is blocked anymore. and with the hose NOT kinked, it still wont start.

I am still a little confused about what do do with the carbs....

When cranking the bike over, if i turn the throttle then i get a different sound, and can smell gas... but like i said, it has spark..

All this happened after i filled the tank up... about 5 minutes later it died.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
do you have dirt in the bowls possibly? it may be that you have dirt plugging the jets.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heres an update...... i cleaned out the holes in the carb.... and let the bike sit. The it just fired up with use of the choke.... So i drove it around for about 4 minutes and it died again, and is doing the same thing as before....

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
now when i try to start it..... i use the choke and it almost starts, but it doesn't. but it just cranks over when i use NO choke.

It is very confusing for me... considering that is ran so well last year.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
clean the carb bowls out, which entails pulling the carbs off to do so. its probable that your carbs are dirty again, or you have a plugged fuel filter if you have one of those.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
clean the carb bowls out, which entails pulling the carbs off to do so. its probable that your carbs are dirty again, or you have a plugged fuel filter if you have one of those.

fuel filter is brand new.... and i verified that the fuel pump worked by unhooking the hose that feeds the carbs.... and then i cranked the motor... and it spewed gas.

I have never cleaned the carbs after the first time it stopped... i just blew into them with some compressed air... Then after that the bike ran for 4 minutes and died again..... now it wont start.... but almost starts with full choke.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before you pull the carbs off the engine drain all bowls first! then try to start the engine again. If it runs forever and ever then the bowls had dirt or water in them. If the engine still shuts down then I would do the float level/ fuel level check. It is easy to do just follow the service manual. If the float levels are not correct it might be possible that the needle valves are damaged ( they can get grooved from years of vibration ) and need to be replaced. Since you said that the bike was in storage for 6 months then I'll bet it is some kind of contamination in the fuel system. It might be a good idea to completely drain the fuel tank and all hoses leading to the carbs to get any debris out of the system. Once the bike is running again use carb/fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank. before it goes back into storage shut off the fuel tank petcock while the engine is running to burn the fuel that is in the bowls/fuel lines and either fill the tank to the brim or drain it completely to avoid moisture forming. Best of luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
don't forget to check the float height, very critical.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Before you pull the carbs off the engine drain all bowls first! then try to start the engine again. If it runs forever and ever then the bowls had dirt or water in them. If the engine still shuts down then I would do the float level/ fuel level check. It is easy to do just follow the service manual. If the float levels are not correct it might be possible that the needle valves are damaged ( they can get grooved from years of vibration ) and need to be replaced. Since you said that the bike was in storage for 6 months then I'll bet it is some kind of contamination in the fuel system. It might be a good idea to completely drain the fuel tank and all hoses leading to the carbs to get any debris out of the system. Once the bike is running again use carb/fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank. before it goes back into storage shut off the fuel tank petcock while the engine is running to burn the fuel that is in the bowls/fuel lines and either fill the tank to the brim or drain it completely to avoid moisture forming. Best of luck!

Remember gas has a shelf life too. Right around 30 days.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If the bike has been sitting, check the carbs. The jets might be dirty or the floats are sticking. There are some beautiful diagrams on wikipedia for carbs. Good luck working around that airbox!

Does it only die when you come to a stop? or does it run hard when you try to park and shut it off? If it's sputtering, I'd say the fuel isn't mixing right... but that could be a source/mixing/anything problem.

good luck! I had a similar problem with my old bike, a '96 Kawi GPZ 1100. My floats were stuck open and the tank drained in somebody's parking lot. Gas was spewing out of my exhaust.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts