Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Looking at swapping the front wheel on a project bike, long story but looking at ever a zx9r or zx6r front wheel. The problem I have, is the 98 on don't have the cable Speedo drive but looking at some from what I can see on pics they seem to have the cut outs for the receiver (part that sites in the front wheel that the Speedo drive slots on to) to locate in?
Can anybody confirm this for me?
Thanks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It’s also worth noting that the spindle for the 900 is 20mm diameter whilst that on the 600 is 24mm so they’re not easily interchangeable.

I’ve got a 900 front wheel in the garage which I can photograph for you when I get home and a complete 900 front end on a GPz frame which I can check the fork legs on.

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
I have to admit I get nervous when I hear about folks wanting to swap wheels or front ends or frames from one model to another.

Kawasaki normally designs each component to suit the bike and swapping parts back and forth, may make the bike unsafe. If you really know what you are doing, and if the components are stronger, then it might be ok. If it were me, and if in doubt, I would involve a mechanical engineer or I would leave it stock.

Motorcycles are not like Lego blocks. Just because two pieces fit, does not mean it is safe. Please be careful.

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
I generally live by the motto "better safe than sorry". Not that I don't take risks. I used to road race motorcycles, did motocross, ice racing and for good measure I enjoyed jumping out of airplanes with a parachute and did hang gliding also.

I am not so worried about anyone with a degree in mechanical, or even civil engineering swapping critical parts like wheels, front ends or frames, but there are others out there who may get themselves into trouble. The caution is for them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I guess you’re right; when you do something as a matter of course, it sometimes pays to remember that others may not find it so straightforward.

Give me any musical instruments, for example, and I’m totally lost!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WFO-KZ just to put your mind at rest, I've been building bikes for over 25 year (mostly Suzuki's) I'm a qualified welder/fabricator and know my way around a bike, I don't do anything unsafe like the strange Swedish chop thing in your pic, just hope there are now corners where they live lol.

As to the front wheel good info on the bearings sizes, a pic would be very helpful, as at the moment the bike has a zzr1100 front wheel in and it is quite heavy lol of course it's a worm drive Speedo and I'd like to keep it worm drive. I understand that the zx9r or zx6r are not worm driver, bit seen a pic on eBay that looked like there where slots in the wheel where a Speedo drive would fit?
So a pic of the lh side wheel bearing area and if possible behind the dust seal would be great.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
Ok, that's good to hear Scat6. Enough on the safety lessons. I wish I could help but it sounds like Davidr1963 is da man for this job. Maybe other members can chime in.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I’m not sure what bike it’s going on but I’ve a zxr400h wheel on the front of a GPz750 or you could try ZZR600. They both have speedo drives.

Another option is to use a GPS speedo or a speedo app on your phone. The R6 front end on the bike in my second photo doesn’t have a speedo drive so I bought a GPS speedo for it. You could probably get one for around $50.

Of course, the app on your phone and a phone mount would be cheaper still. My BIL does that on his XJR1300 because he has km/h clicks and struggles converting to mph at speed.

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
Generally speaking a GPS based system (standalone or on a phone) is more accurate than the speedo that comes on the bike. By law (at least in North America) a speedo has to read the actual speed or 5% more than the actual speed. It cannot be less than the actual speed. So most manufacturers make their speedos read on the high side to avoid any chance of being on the low side and getting hit with whopping fines from the Feds.

A GPS does not adhere to those rules.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bike is a z1000p ( us police bike) but it doesn't look like it did when it came over to the UK lol
I've grafted a zzr1100 swing arm in with wheel (did that over 20 years ago) running standard forks and yokes but the forks have progressive springs etc, the zzr1100 wheel goes in the yokes/forks nicely with new spacers and sleeves.
I'm looking for lighter wheels as the zzr ones are heavyweights lol got a zx9r rear wheel that I can make fit. Maybe the zxr400 front wheel if they are lighter than the zzr front maybe the way to go think there a 20mm bearings, if the net is wright.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think the z1000 of that era ran in a 19” front wheel like the z650?

If that’s the case, the speedo is going to be reading wrong anyway.

I’ll weigh the 400 and 600 wheels, albeit without discs but with tyres to give you an idea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I made a new clock's using some clock's off a gsx600f so they read wright ;)
Yes the weight would be very helpful, thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Zxr400 10kg with tyre and spindle
300mm discs 2.5kg
ZZR600 wheel bare 4.4kg

Unfortunately I don’t have a tyre to weigh but theses weights are hopefully a start.

I’m surprised that you can get a zzr1100 (or any modern front wheel) in the z1000 forks, I’d have thought the gap was too narrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This the nice thing with the USA z1000p model, the standard yokes are much wider than the standard z or gpz models.
All you need is a new space made up for the Rh side and a sleeve made to reduce the spindle size and they fit very nicely, you also need caliper brackets for whatever calipers you're using.
Thanks for the help it's given me something to work off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,
Looking at swapping the front wheel on a project bike, long story but looking at ever a zx9r or zx6r front wheel. The problem I have, is the 98 on don't have the cable Speedo drive but looking at some from what I can see on pics they seem to have the cut outs for the receiver (part that sites in the front wheel that the Speedo drive slots on to) to locate in?
Can anybody confirm this for me?
Thanks.
Yes correct or I have a Universal cable an can put the ends on you need an crimp but I was going to you's it on my bike an after crimping was going to get someone to tack weld to guarentee an saves chasing a cable or wheel etc to suit. Let me know .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts