Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have an 89 ZX1000B. That said, I would like to know if there are any possible replacement rear wheels that I could add to get a little more rear tire width. I had a freind tell me that a zx-9 rear tire would work. Obviously I have some safety concerns about mismatched axles and bearings. Anyone ever do this? or Know how it has been done before? :?:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Your ZX10 rear wheel unortunately is an 18" so ZX9R is of no use as they are 17"..
To get more tyre width you will have to try to source something a little wider than the standard 160/60/18 like a 170.. but you will have make sure there are no clearance issues with a wider tyre.

If you wish to try replacing your complete wheel and tyre assembly which you mentioned then look at an early ZX1100 C Model (ZZR1100) as they changed to a 17" wheel as standard..but you'll need to look at the rear caliper mounting points.
I don't know if the swing arms are the same width so this may be cause for a spacer modification.
This sort of thing can be easily done by someone who has access to a machine shop and is knowlegable with this type of work..
DON'T ATTEMPT UNLESS YOU ARE!!

Note if you do this conversion you will effectivly alter your rolling radius and your speedo will not read right..

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Wheels& tires

I don't know why you would want a larger rear tire. There are so many rubber compounds out on the market now. IF, however you really wanted to get a wider tire, do you have the clearance width and diameter for it? you could get a wider and shorter profile IF your wheel could handle it...and still have the same circumfrence so that your speedometer is still within limits...maybe the best way would be to send your wheel or one just like it in and have it relaced with a different rim...that way everything is hte same with ref to bearings brakes, rear sprocket...and you will know that the new one is as strong as the old one was. In my personal Opinion...I think Harleys look absolutely STUPID with mismatched wheels. Either relacing, or replacing is the thing to do, and there are some great companies out there that will do it. YOur information is lacking your location and such. so it is difficult to direct you to Arizona, California, or London, Sydney..without even a country it is very vague...the forum is not a POSSE...so give up at least an area of the world in which you ride...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts