Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member carrying out some refurb maint on a low mileage zzr600 E8 (2000).
Really struggling to understand how to get oil filter out of the confines of oil cooler and exhaust manifold pipes. Reading the manuals suggests it should come out through the pipes once the oil cooler has been dropped. My bike has Very little room with a metal ‘frame’ just in front of Down pipes which bottom bolt of oil cooler is fastened to. Not sure if mine is non standard. But at the moment lost for ideas. Haven’t released oil filter yet and will need to track down a strap wrench or similar. Can’t access from the front with a filter removal tool.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Welcome to the Forum (y)
First thing to mention just as a minor detail, We didn't get a ZZR600-E8 in the UK , Kawasaki rolled the E7 on into 2000 and carried on in 2001 with the E9 so yours will be a 2000 E7, Same with the ZZR1100 D7-D9 don't ask me why they just did :unsure:
So on to the good stuff.
It can be a tad fiddly to extract the Oil Filter but there is a knack..
You need to drop the Belly pan, to get access then undo the lower oil cooler Frame Bolt.
I leave the Oil Cooler in place and never had to drop one yet.
Using a lever place it against the down pipes and lever the bottom of that Bracket to open up enough room to drop the Filter out.
(Picture below showing a line where I place the Lever)
It's tight but does come out.
This is all dependent on your Bike having standard down pipes, If there aftermarket it can be a bit more involved depending on the shape but tbh the after market manufacturer should at least try and mimic the oem shape...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tyvm - really helpful advice. And thanks for the clarification of E7 v E8. I think they are aftermarket pipes so that may compound the challenge, but with the room that levering the bracket should create I’m hopeful I can get it out once I have released it. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts