Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mr Slap n Tickle
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I shoulda thought about this BEFORE it got cold....I once drained battery when left parking lights on, but I recharged and used a tricle charger when not in use. Also had an accident and was off bike for 4 weeks and I doubt the shop kept it on a trickle.

So sure enough, finally hit 30's in Florida and after work yesterday, bike wouldn't start...couldnt even jump it and couldn't push start it (compression ratio too high?) Tested batery finally and sure enough, registered 12.4V!!

So, bought new attery, and charged up overnight....this AM shows 12.9V.
Got to work, put battery in, opened choke....WONT START.

Only possibility I can think of is that battery didnt sit long enough after took off charger....maybe 30-40 minutes.

Any help...thanks in advance.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm not sure the first battery was really problematic. A healthy battery is around 12.6, so 12.4 isn't so bad. That .2V across six cells.

With the new battery, it should turn over... I'm going to start by asking what position your kill switch is in... that's the on/off switch on the right clipon. That is my first guess.

Otherwise, you put the new battery in turn the key, everything is in the proper position and nothing?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I'm with xeon on the battery not being the problem. I'm sorry but I can't plumb enough spec's from your avatar...what year is your bike and how many miles? The cold may be more than coincidental to your problems but if everything checks out against xeon's list, your bike's year and mileage might help us out.

·
Mr Slap n Tickle
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We tried to jump it...nothing. The new battery says it should read at least 12.8
Anyway, I did get it started this afternoon at lunch, so Im hoping it will start right up again when I leave in a few!

And no...haha...not the kill switch...that was my first dufus check!

·
Mr Slap n Tickle
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a 2007 ZZR-600....5,000 miles.
I has a 250 Ninja a couple years ago and barely remember a couple starting chellenges in the cold....as opposed to the 650 I had which was fuel injected and NEVER had starting challenges, so Im not suprised this is an ordeal all of a sudden....itrs almost NEVER this cold in Florida!

I did get it started tonight, but it DID take a few attempts. Here's the kicker....this afternoon, I tried to start in neutral while walking the bike forward to 'help out' and seemed to turn a bit more...almost caught it once, but stalled immediately. When I tried again and just INCHED it forward JUST as I hit ignition and throttle...it started up pretty clean and was able to keep going!
Used that same technique tonight with same results!

Also retested battery tonight an hour after I got home and voltometer showed 13, so battery is strong....we'll try another run tomorrow AM.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Thats really odd... my bike is 6 years older with 3 times as many miles and i have never had a starting issue besides a backfire in the cold.... i would check to make sure the connection (relay?) for the kill switch is not damaged.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Are you saying the starter is turning the engine and it just doesn't fire up and run ? Or are you saying you touch the starter button and nothing happens at all ?

For folks (like us) who live in the south, I do know that first cold morning start can be quite an experience. My FI Nomad will always start and stay running on one quick touch of the starter button (with 15W-50 oil), until the temps drop below about 45F. Then it takes 2+ trys to get it to start and stay running, unless I switch over to my preferred winter oil (Rotella 5W-40). With the thin oil it starts with one touch of the starter even down to 18F -coldest morning commute I've had since owning the bike...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts