Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

ZZR1200 Carb Idle

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  WFO-KZ 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 ZZR1200. I just paid a reputable person in California to clean the carbs. Before the cleaning, the bike idled perfectly, but I had problems with acceleration in mid range. Now, with the cleaned carbs, the bike will not idle. I rode it twice. The first time, it still did not idle, so I took it for a ride to perhaps clean it out. Still would not idle. I did the air fuel mixture adjustment, turned out 1.5 turns. It idles better/longer, and, the mid range acceleration is crisp. Also, it will now idle until normal operating temperature at 1000 RPM. But, the idle will slow and finally just cut off. I bump the ignition button to see if the fuel pump activates, and the fuel pump clicks/pumps a couple of times. I can restart with no problem, but I have to message the throttle to get it started.

Now, if I hold my finger over or plug the oil separator tube, the bike idles perfectly for as long as I let the bike run. It revs perfectly, idles perfectly. I have not rode it with the tube plugged.

Note: I got the idea to put my finger over the oil separator tube from seeing fuel come out of it when I bump the throttle. A couple of times, after holding my finger over the tube, when I released the tube, oil sprayed out of that tube.

New plugs
Oil changed
Freshly cleaned carbs
New factory air cleaner

Does anyone know what my problem is? I would greatly appreciate a solution - thanks in advance

See less See more
#6 ·
Sorry about that. Usually SPammers post in old dead threads. I have a ZZR1200. I wonder why he didn't use the idle adjuster that is on the left side on the bike, mounted on a cable that turns the screw on the carb rack.? Great forum, you might want to post an Introduction, if you haven't already ;)

#7 ·
It would seem that Eric's response was sarcasm. One needs to understand that in any forum, sometimes requests for help get little or no response. Why that happens is a great question. I have some theories:

Sometimes the message gets posted on a very busy day when the focus of our members is on some other, perhaps more exciting posts and members forget to circle back to the less interesting posts.

If there are a lot posts some members like to read them all first and then go back for answers later, but it can be easy to miss some of the postings once the unread flag is gone.

With 2.3 million postings some are bound to get missed.

Sometimes a post will be on a topic that has been covered in detail numerous times on this forum. A simple search would have found the answer and in a case like this, the post may get ignored.

If your post is ignored, and if you are unable to find your answer with a search of our 2.3 million postings, then there is nothing wrong with giving your post a "bump" after waiting a few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.