Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst changing the engine oil& filter, I noticed this!
The entire bottom half of the large triangular suspension link is missing. Lord knows how this has happened, but its been like this for a while as the broken edges are well coated in chain lube and grit etc.
Automotive tire Close-up Hood Artifact Art

Automotive tire Bicycle Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

I think its due to lack of re-greasing: the bush and bearings have seized, got hot and caused the break?
The part, 39007 1303 is obsolete, and 19 bike parts sellers on ebay haven't got in...all sold, thats tells a story....luckily I found one for £35 delivered, the seller says the bearings and sleeves are perfect so hopefully I won't have to spend £160 or so on new parts :confused:

·
Registered
542 Posts
It may have been oiled on the outside, but the grease nipple is there for a reason. It probably dried up, and the friction, along withc corrosion, caused the link to fail. I have never seen this happen on any motorcycle before. Yikes!! Happy your fine. I've seen that part all over the U.S. on EBAY the here. Better to do all the maintenance n your bike. Why is there so much oil? I think you have some maintenance to catch up on. You can see in the picture the whole bushing assembly is crooked in the casting. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Is that WHY it was for sale?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that WHY it was for sale?
I bought the bike from a Kawasaki dealer, as a trade sale. For non UK readers, that means its sold 'as seen' with no warranty of any kind: you are a trader, buying a vehicle just as it is.
The bike has done 63k miles and is 20 years old, thats why it was sold as a trader. I did have the option to look it over before buying, and it is a very well maintained bike,many extras and came with a fair amount of service history: all it needed was a pair of tyres, the previous owner had just been on a short tour round the UK before parting with it...no way did anyone know of this, 1000% certain. I'm still delighted wth the bike, I paid half the 'retail' value: I could sell tomorrow and make £1000 profit....once I've replaced the link!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It may have been oiled on the outside, but the grease nipple is there for a reason. It probably dried up, and the friction, along withc corrosion, caused the link to fail. I have never seen this happen on any motorcycle before. Yikes!! Happy your fine. I've seen that part all over the U.S. on EBAY the here. Better to do all the maintenance n your bike. Why is there so much oil? I think you have some maintenance to catch up on. You can see in the picture the whole bushing assembly is crooked in the casting. :)
Its not as bad as it looks! The majority of the casting is still there, the bush and mounting bolt are just where they should be. Bike rides perfectly true, no knocks or bangs and it tracks dead straight...
I'm now thinking that it has hit a speed bump, the PITA traffic calming stupid things aimed to slow traffic: all they do is slow emergency vehicles and vehicles with low suspenson.
The rest of the bike is in top condition, despite the 63K miles. Brake pads look almost new, as does the chain & sprockets, handlebar risers fitted, crash bungs, rear hugger, Givi rear rack, new screen, heated grips, £300 comfort seat, just needed a pair of tyres, nothing else. I did change the fuel filter but the rest of the service parts I bought aren't needed for a while yet!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've just spent a few hours researching the rear suspension link parts. I happen to have a GPZ900R suspension link, and a complete linkage set up for my other bike, Gtr1000/concours, just bought it as it was cheap and that bikes done 86k miles!
The needle roller bearings are identical, the parts list say one part is 27mm wide, not 26 like the rst...my part has a 26mm fitted, no doubt swapped sometime. All the oil seal/dust caps are identical, same makers # despite Kawa saying otherwise. I even think the actual suspension link from the Gtr is the same size as the ZZR. but minus the grease nipples.
I've stripped down all my spares and have got plenty of needle rollers and oil/dust seals, should the replacement link need any replacing...watch this space!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Most of the casting is there, that's why it's holding the bushing in. Like you wrote, something, like a really sharp pot hole must have hit that rear wheel. I have never seen any linkage on a street bike that has similar single shock set ups break like that. I've seen them worn and loose, but they still worked. This could be a faulty casting, it could be the ONLY faulty casting, and you happened upon it. I saw an MG Steering arm off the steering box, and in the casting, was a bolt (buried in the casting, lengthwise). It was in there when the part was cast. It passed MG's inspection, it was an MGTD, and worked. The guy only noticed it when he was restoring his car. That part is no longer made, and he could not find one. I suggested he bring it to a machine shop, and have the bolt ground out, and then Tig welded. He ended up finding one, and stuck the piece he had on a plaque. That is scary. Great bikes though. I'll be making good use of the grease nipples on mine after seeing that!! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Today my second hand link arrived, I began to give it a clean up, then all the needles out of the bearings started to fall out.
Each needle is/was wrapped in a plastic sleeve, like a steel carrier found in other types of bearing.
Wood Metal Fashion accessory Font Electric blue

As I mentioned earlier, I've got a couple of lower links, from a Gpz900r and a Gtr1000 concours. I've pressed the bearings out, and they are exactly the same sizes! all 27mm O/D, 3x 15mm wide and 1x 25mm wide, 20mm I/D.
The 'old' ones are much better, the wider one is 26mm not 25 but that won't matter, the end cap O rings are soft plastic so will fit. The ZZR bearings have 26 rollers and the older ones have 28, but no junky plastic spacers which fall apart so easily! Kawasaki probably saved a few pennies by swapping to bearings with plastic insides :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts