Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I’ve just got myself a Gen1 ZZR1400…..and with the help from KAWASAKI Forums I have resolved a few issues….bar one
My niggling problem now is after switching the bike off the display time sits at 1.00 and mileage counters 0
I can set the time and when the bike is running the mileage counter works normally and I can set the clock
Switch the bike of and boom back to zero an time 1.0 so it’s not just about the method for setting the clock.
I’ve read lots about the problem….
battery…seems to be healthy no issues ……keeps 12.6v…..CBTX14-BS 12An 200 CGA Acouple of years old
Battery Terminals tight and clean.
Earth…..checked and cleaned the earthing points
Live feedG to the plug behind Instrument Panel Plug has a constant live feed when the bikers switch off …
Checked with voltage meter showing still live
I am hoping for a solution here from you guys ??
Has any one actually had experience in resolving this problem….I’d be very grateful for any help.
Thanks again
Scottie

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
You most likely need to replace the backup battery within your instrument cluster.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
According to your owner's manual, there is a backup battery. If it is missing then that's your problem. Install a new battery and you will be good to go.

PS - I had to assume a model year for your bike since you did not provide it. It always helps to provide the model year.
Cheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Its a 2006 but I did say Gen1 at the start ….anyway I don’t think there is a backup battery in a Gen1 in the instrument cluster….perhaps that’s a later enhancement that’s why pin 10 must be live at all times

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Glad to see you solved your problem. I had no idea when Gen 1 ended and Gen2 started so I picked the engine size increase as the start of Gen2 which was 2011.

In any event, the owner's manual for the 2011 kept referring to a "backup battery". Possibly they were referring to the motorcycle's main battery? The 2006 manual makes the same reference.

Thanks for posting the solution to your problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts